[SOLVED] Regarding Speed Issue

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
First of all hello to you who are all reading and stay safe

I have a fibre internet connection at home with a plan of 50 Mbps but if i run a speed test with a server within my city i get full speed which would be around 45 - 50 Mbps

But if i run a speedtest on a server outside my city i get only like 1 or 2 Mbps speed and the unusual part is my browsing is super fast like how 50Mbps would be
but when it comes to the internet getting connected to far away places if im right ,sorry for layman's terms like connecting to google stadia or microsoft Azure for cloud gaming ,my performance would be like how it was in those speedtest with servers outside my city

I was cloud gaming with my previous Internet Provider but this never happened and their speed was 20 Mbps and even if i choose a server outside my city the speed would be at full speed

I'm sorry for a lengthy and confusing post but could any explain why this would happen so i can get back at the ISP because they keep saying the fault is here or there the wire or the EPON ONU box but since its lockdown due to the on going issues ,changing service provider would be hard but figuring something out would be much helpful please

Thanks for hearing me out and any help you can give please

P.S. My router is TP Link Archer C20

Solution
It show when you test with your own ISP you get pretty good numbers not sure why upload failed. That means there really is nothing wrong with your connection. The ISP will correctly say it is not their problem.

I will give you another link but this one is kinda hard to use unless you understand the concept of peering. It shows how ISP are interconnected.

This is considered a lookingglass site but it is very advanced. There might be a better on in your country but this will still let you key in ip addresses and see how they are connected to your network.

This is more something to play with to learn why you have a problem not that you will be able to change anything. It might give you a clue which...
Going to be hard to troubleshoot because you have very little ability to do anything about the path your data takes.

I could see high ping times but low bandwidth is kinda strange. Not all ISP have good connectivity to other ISP. Small ISP many times only have connectivity via one or maybe 2 larger ISP. The actual "internet" is made up of the connections between maybe 5-6 of the very largest ISP. Either directly buying from these ISP or having a ISP with multiple connections to at least 3 or 4 tends to have the best performance.

In any case the only solution I can see is to try VPN services. Your goal is to get one that you have good performance to. This will generally be one that your ISP has good connectivity to even if it is not in a city really close. You then hope that the VPN company has better connections to other ISP than your ISP does.

Still it is really strange to see bandwidth limitation only you should see much higher ping times. Generally slower transfer rates are either distance or congestion and both tend to have higher ping times. The congestion tends to have very unstable ping times.

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Going to be hard to troubleshoot because you have very little ability to do anything about the path your data takes.

I could see high ping times but low bandwidth is kinda strange. Not all ISP have good connectivity to other ISP. Small ISP many times only have connectivity via one or maybe 2 larger ISP. The actual "internet" is made up of the connections between maybe 5-6 of the very largest ISP. Either directly buying from these ISP or having a ISP with multiple connections to at least 3 or 4 tends to have the best performance.

In any case the only solution I can see is to try VPN services. Your goal is to get one that you have good performance to. This will generally be one that your ISP has good connectivity to even if it is not in a city really close. You then hope that the VPN company has better connections to other ISP than your ISP does.

Still it is really strange to see bandwidth limitation only you should see much higher ping times. Generally slower transfer rates are either distance or congestion and both tend to have higher ping times. The congestion tends to have very unstable ping times.
Hey thanks for your reply ,yeah it seems like its gonna be a difficult one ,i've tried two or three VPN's with no luck
and im still scratching my head what is this strange phenomenon haha but for your inspection i've added screenshots of speedtest from different locations varying from near me to a little bit far

Thanks
Test 1
Test 2
Test 3
Test 4
Test 5

It show when you test with your own ISP you get pretty good numbers not sure why upload failed. That means there really is nothing wrong with your connection. The ISP will correctly say it is not their problem.

I will give you another link but this one is kinda hard to use unless you understand the concept of peering. It shows how ISP are interconnected.

This is considered a lookingglass site but it is very advanced. There might be a better on in your country but this will still let you key in ip addresses and see how they are connected to your network.

This is more something to play with to learn why you have a problem not that you will be able to change anything. It might give you a clue which vpn provider can help you. Be warned this is actually very complex, in the end you will actually understand how the internet really works.

Other than that I don't know which vpn providers work best. I know the so called "gamer" ISP tend to help more in india and other asian countries than they do in say the EU or the USA

Reactions: Led zeppelin blues
Solution

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015

This is more something to play with to learn why you have a problem not that you will be able to change anything. It might give you a clue which vpn provider can help you. Be warned this is actually very complex, in the end you will actually understand how the internet really works.

Other than that I don't know which vpn providers work best. I know the so called "gamer" ISP tend to help more in india and other asian countries than they do in say the EU or the USA
hey,much thanks
i will fiddle with it and see what i can gasp and see what the ISP people have to say ,gonna have a stern talk with them today and see how things turn out ,if anything changes ,will keep you posted
Thanks