Regedit.exe doesn't open tried to enable it in CMD "Access denied" I click it nothing happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Tried to enable and disable it in group policy also nothing happened...
I need to access it
This has happened twice now and I reinstalled my windows, and it worked but when I installed these 3 things it stopped opening, AMD graphics card driver, netframe 3.5, directx11 and GTA 5 on windows 8.1 pro.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Home PC it literally just worked when I did a clean install but when I did few driver installs and softwares it stopped working again.
I am the admin.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

I didn't mean to pick as solution please unsolve it please, and it nothing, I even did "show directory" or whatever opens up the folder it's in, nothing happens when you open it, I even deleted it and recreated it using cmd, still nothing.

USAFRet

Titan

Unselected per your request.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Thank you but any solution :'(? it's pissing me the hell of, I tried to enable it through cmd it says "error access denied" and then I even renamed it to regedit.bk and recreated the regedit from scratch using cmd but nothing you are able to open it but nothing happens when you click on the icon.

USAFRet

Titan

You renamed regedit.exe to regedit.bk?
WHY would you do this? Who told you that was a good idea?

Change it back.
Assuming this is Win 8.1:
Hover over the bottom left corner
Select Run
Type regedit
Click OK

What happens?

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

I didn't do it on my current window I did it before I reinstalled the whole window from scratch, the reason I did this was because I was watching a youtube tutorial you rename it for backup purposes so when you're recreating the registry if anything happens or goes wrong you have a backup.

USAFRet

Titan

holee crap that is all kinds of wrong.
"regedit" is merely the command to open the Registry editor.

Changing regedit.exe to regedit.bk is worse than useless.
Yes, you should make a backup copy of the registry before you do any major changes. You do this by opening the Registry editor, and selecting File|Export. This saves a copy of the Registry as it is right now. It will save as <filename>.reg. Whatever filename you give it.

Now....what happens, specifically, when you try to open the Registry editor?

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Loading bar shows for 2 seconds and then nothing.... you can click on it but nothing happens.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Poli
cies\System" /t Reg_dword /v DisableRegistryTools /f /d 0
The operation completed successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>

USAFRet

Titan

Your above text does not happen when you try to open the Registry editor.
That happens if you run a command to try to disable the registry editor.

What are you actually trying to do?

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Yeah I pasted that to you to show that it's enabled, I want to open regedit to do this, if theres another way to do it for now until I fix it or find out I'll be happy, I want to do this
How to change the setup language for social club in the registry:
a) Go to "start"
b) Search for "regedit"
c) Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"\ "SOFTWARE"\ "Wow6432Node"\ "Rockstar Games"\
d) Highlight "Grand Theft Auto V" & on the right pane double-click "Language"
e) Change "zh-CN" to desired language: English (US) is "en-US".

Grishnikov

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Holy * the same thing is happening to me. I think its cause of the GTA 5 torrent you downloaded cause i did the same and it doesnt let me open regedit now. I need to change language to english too but cant get it to work. Maybe it has something to do with Anti-Virus?

Grishnikov

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Found a temporary solution, download alternate registry editor and use it to change language for GTA 5. No idea how to solve the regedit problem though.
Heres the download:http://www.torchsoft.com/download/RegistryWorkshop.exe

USAFRet

Titan

No, it is specifically from the torrent you installed.
If you had actually purchased the game, you would not have these issues.

USAFRet

Titan

Was this a pirated game you installed? If so, the inability to run regedit is probably the least of your worries.

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

PedramCarter

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Why does it matter not admitting to anything but I know plenty of friends who have been running pirated games for 10 years or so and had no problems ever.

USAFRet

Titan

Pirated software is a main vector of malware, trojans, and viruses.

PC working perfectly.
Install a pirated game.
Regedit no longer works.

See the connection?

foundreason

Reputable
Apr 24, 2015
I found this via ProcessMonitor.

To make regedit.exe work you must delete key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\regedit.exe.

So you need to launch CMD as Administrator and paste this

reg delete "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\regedit.exe"

Done, regedit now works

The reason is described here http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2005/12/19/505449.aspx

kristofp12

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! It actually works man, put it in, and it will ask (yes/no). type yes, click enter, and it will say completed succesfully, and than type regedit in start, and run it, and it finnally freaking works! thanks so much man, that was such a simple fix...

USAFRet

Titan

Whether you bought the game later or not, the initial torrent install hosed up your system/regedit.

I'd suggest a full wipe and reinstall of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.