Question Regular bluescreen issues and unsure why ?

Apr 21, 2024
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Hello all, first time poster here.

Overview here then more info below: I have built a pc about two months ago and have had no issues until about 5 days ago where i have experienced regular blue screen issues. I have been able to replicate this numerous times with my pc under load, under no load etc - I'm stumped! More details below, I have gone on the safe side and added (probably) exessive amounts of information.

PC Specs:

MBD: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Max WiFi AM4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 7800 XT
RAM: Corsair Vengance 32gb (2x16gb) 3200MHz DDR4
SSD: Crucial P3 Plus 1TB PCIe Gen4 M.2 NVMe
PSU: Corsair 750W RM750e 80+ Gold

Here's what's happening:

My PC is crashing more and more frequently.
Sometimes entire PC will crash, blue screen and automatically reboot
Sometimes entire PC will crash, one monitor (out of two) will blue screen and the other will retain its picture but freeze, and will automatically reboot
Sometimes entire PC will crash, wont blue screen, requires manual restart

When this has happened:

Running many instances of Rhino 8, Photoshop and Illustrator at once
Running AAA Games whilst streaming and Discord
Running MS Word and Spotify
Running absolutely nothing

What SysnativeBSODCollectionApp has said:

I have just created this output, I can copy this upon request

What Event Viewer has said:

Annoyingly, mostly nothing significant, but one time it said the following:
"LSA package is not signed as expected. This can cause unexpected behaviour with credential guard. PackageName: wdigest"

What I have said:

Naughty words mostly, my brain has been muddled by this and my mouth tends to just emit strange sounds of confusion.

Any advice and assistance is more than appreciated. I will be online and monitoring this post for the next 10 or many hours and am more than willing to dig through my PC or talk if you want more information.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Apr 21, 2024
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you...
colif.zip - thanks very much

Colif

Win 11 Master
What SysnativeBSODCollectionApp has said:

I have just created this output, I can copy this upon request

I expect that file would help @ubuysa as I think he works there. I could be wrong.

File: 042224-14562-01.dmp (Apr 22 2024 - 02:16:57)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)

File: 042224-13500-01.dmp (Apr 22 2024 - 02:07:29)
Uptime: 2 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 53 Min(s), and 48 Sec(s)

File: 041924-13750-01.dmp (Apr 19 2024 - 16:13:07)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File: 041824-13531-01.dmp (Apr 18 2024 - 14:19:29)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

I would upload that Sysnative results file and see if he can help you more. I can't see the cause in your bsod. Probably a driver but you have a lot, I won't start guessing. I let him tell you.

Reactions: satrow
Apr 21, 2024
I would upload that Sysnative results file and see if he can help you more. I can't see the cause in your bsod. Probably a driver but you have a lot, I won't start guessing. I let him tell you.

the drivers that i reinstalled helped since doing, but i am now experiencing the same problem again...

ubuysa

Distinguished
From the dumps this initially looks rather like a RAM issue. All of the dumps fail with a 0xC000001D exception, that's an illegal instruction attempt. The BSODs all seem to happen at different places and in different modules, and with no third-party drivers referenced.

Since it's a new build (and as I type this I'm on my latest build too - which is only two days old!) the first thing I'd check is that the RAM is on the QVL for the motherboard and CPU. Not being on the QVL doesn't mean it won't work, but when we see BSODs like this on a new build that's always the first thing to check.

The second thing I'd suggest is removing any overclock on the RAM (via XMP or similar) and see whether the problem persists.

Finally, I'd suggest a RAM tests...
  1. Download Memtest86 (free), use the imageUSB.exe tool extracted from the download to make a bootable USB drive containing Memtest86 (1GB is plenty big enough). Do this on a different PC if you can, because you can't fully trust yours at the moment.
  2. Then boot that USB drive on your PC, Memtest86 will start running as soon as it boots.
  3. If no errors have been found after the four iterations of the 13 different tests that the free version does, then restart Memtest86 and do another four iterations. Even a single bit error is a failure.

Ralston18

Titan
Before system restore.....

Look in Reliabilty History/Monitor for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that started 5 days ago.

Also look in Update history for any failed or problem updates.

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "dism" and "sfc /scannow"

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Colif

Win 11 Master
the first thing I'd check is that the RAM is on the QVL for the motherboard and CPU.

ram = CMK32GX4M2E3200C16
Corsair 16gb stick Vengeance LPX (part of a 2 stick set) (the 32 in stick numbering = set size)

Motherboard - MAG B550 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI
I can confim Corsair have checked that set against the Motherboard. They don't go to step of showing CPU as a choice.
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/p/mem...00mhz-c16-memory-kit-black-cmk32gx4m2e3200c16

MSI only tested one stick of 16gb 3200 mhz ram from Corsair on that board with that CPU range (it doesn't specify a CPU, more a family) - CMN32GX4M2Z3200C16

MSI only tested Vengence ram with the board, no LPX. I thought codes were similar until I saw the CMN instead of CMK...

It looks like it is compatible but running memtest is a good idea :)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024
From the dumps this initially looks rather like a RAM issue. All of the dumps fail with a 0xC000001D exception, that's an illegal instruction attempt. The BSODs all seem to happen at different places and in different modules, and with no third-party drivers referenced.

Since it's a new build (and as I type this I'm on my latest build too - which is only two days old!) the first thing I'd check is that the RAM is on the QVL for the motherboard and CPU. Not being on the QVL doesn't mean it won't work, but when we see BSODs like this on a new build that's always the first thing to check.

The second thing I'd suggest is removing any overclock on the RAM (via XMP or similar) and see whether the problem persists.

1. Download Memtest86 (free), use the imageUSB.exe tool extracted from the download to make a bootable USB drive containing Memtest86 (1GB is plenty big enough). Do this on a different PC if you can, because you can't fully trust yours at the moment.
  2. Then boot that USB drive on your PC, Memtest86 will start running as soon as it boots.
  3. If no errors have been found after the four iterations of the 13 different tests that the free version does, then restart Memtest86 and do another four iterations. Even a single bit error is a failure.
thankyou i will try this now

Apr 21, 2024

I thought i should give more info further than just saying thanks:

Similar to colif, i checked my setup against QVL before purchasing - so should be all good there

The ram isnt overclocked at the moment

Apr 21, 2024
What might have happened since 5 days ago when all was well?
Perhaps a virus or a bad update.
Why not try system restore to reset the pc back to 5 days ago or earlier.
I have done nothing different at all, this is why I'm stumped. Just my usual spotify, discord, cad software, Adobe and games

Apr 21, 2024

Look in Reliabilty History/Monitor for any error codes, warnings, or informational events that started 5 days ago.

Run the built in Windows troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161
I've tried dism and scannow in the past with not much resulting. I'll try again after memtest tells me something

I have done nothing different at all, this is why I'm stumped. Just my usual spotify, discord, cad software, Adobe and games
Some apps update themselves.
Some apps are constantly monitoring things and may impact you.
If you have no entries in your installed program list that have been updated recently, I would try uninstalling discord as a start.

Before you make any such changes, take a user checkpoint so you can get back to where you are now if things go south.

Reactions: cald175
Apr 21, 2024

Just run memtest86 and a second time after restarting the program too.

Both times returned zero errors

Apr 21, 2024

nothing was found using dism and scannow

Apr 21, 2024
Ok, Ill list everything done so far here for all new people having a look at the thread:

PC Specs: (I have listed absolutely everything related to it)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core AM4 4.8GHz CPU
Gigabyte Radeon RX 7800XT Gaming OC 16G GPU
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Max WiFi AM4 ATX Motherboard
2x16GB 3200MHz DDR4 Ram (CMK32GX4M2E3200C16)
Corsair 750W RM750e 80+ Gold Power Supply
Corsair 3000D Airflow tg mid-tower atx case - 6x120mm fans inside
Noctua PWM CPU Cooler
Crucial P3 Plus 1TB PCIe Gen4 M.2 2280 NVMe SSD
Gigabyte 500gb 4000E Gen4 SSD
2x Western Digital HDD 2TB - Caviar Green
Western Digital MyPassport 4TB usb3.0
Acer Nitro ED270UP2 27" 170Hz WQHD VA Curved Monitor -display port
AOC 27B1H2 27" 100Hz FHD IPS Monitor - hdmi
Logitech MX Keys S Wireless Keyboard
Logitech MS Master 3S
Razer Deathadder
Logitech 5.1 channel sound system - its old, cant find name anywhere
my nintendo switch is plugged into my primary monitor - the acer one (this probably isnt relevant but it might...)

What is happening:
Blue screen lots - look up for images

What I (and mods) have done:
Reinstall windows
Run memtest86
Run dism
Run scannow
Checked Setup against QVL
Ensured Ram isnt overclocked
Exported Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - zip file above
Exported SysnativeBSODCollectionApp - file above

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
Let's get some more detailed troubleshooting data then....

Can you please download and run the SysnativeBSODCollectionApp and upload the resulting zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here. The SysnativeBSODCollectionApp collects all the troubleshooting data we're likely to need. It DOES NOT collect any personally identifying data. It's used by several highly respected Windows help forums (including this one). I'm a senior BSOD analyst on the Sysnative forum where this tool came from, so I know it to be safe.

You can of course look at what's in the zip file before you upload it, most of the files are txt files. Please don't change or delete anything though. If you want a description of what each file contains you'll find that here.

Reactions: cald175
Apr 21, 2024
Update: just lost bluetooth too.

i have tried restarting my device, updating bios and installing drivers.

I am annoyed now, I am contacting my parts supplier and asking for replacements under Australian consumer law

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if you get AMD Bluetooth drivers with the chipset drivers
https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am4/b550.html
the newest on MSI site are from last year - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B550-TOMAHAWK-MAX-WIFI/support#driver
I can't seem to find a driver site for AMD Bluetooth or wifi otherwise (they normally controlled by same chip so you get both from same place)

I would try new drivers before I returned hardware.
No idea where you are in Aust but I just returned hardware and it took over a week for it to come back (still waiting), so do you want to be out of a PC for a week or more? I had to send it to another city in Aust to get it replaced.

Last edited: