Question Regular windows clean up software/script?

terryvalencia

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
I want to clean windows regularly. i.e delete prefetch, temp etc types of files regularly. Is there a script that can automate that for me?

Windows has a tool that takes care of most of this:
  • Open up Explorer
  • Go to "This PC" if it isn't there already
  • Right click on C:\
  • Click on "Properties"
  • In the "General" tab, click on "Disk Cleanup"
  • Select the categories of files you want to remove (Windows selects a bunch for you by default)
  • Press OK

If you want it to clean up Windows update files or other system files that are no longer needed, click on the "Clean up system files" button.

There's also no reason to delete or remove certain files like prefetch. In fact, deleting prefetch regularly can be harmful to system performance. But if you don't want it to prefetch, disable the Superfetch service.

Cleaning up certain other things like the registry also aren't very useful. You can do it if you really want, but it doesn't do much to clean up space or improve performance.

terryvalencia

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
Windows has a tool that takes care of most of this:
  • Open up Explorer
  • Go to "This PC" if it isn't there already
  • Right click on C:\
  • Click on "Properties"
  • In the "General" tab, click on "Disk Cleanup"
  • Select the categories of files you want to remove (Windows selects a bunch for you by default)
  • Press OK
If you want it to clean up Windows update files or other system files that are no longer needed, click on the "Clean up system files" button.

There's also no reason to delete or remove certain files like prefetch. In fact, deleting prefetch regularly can be harmful to system performance. But if you don't want it to prefetch, disable the Superfetch service.

Cleaning up certain other things like the registry also aren't very useful. You can do it if you really want, but it doesn't do much to clean up space or improve performance.
how should I clean windows then? My goal is to make the performance of windows great always.

D

Deleted member 14196

I’ve had windows 10 installed for years and performance hasn’t deteriorated, so I don’t know what you’re worried about

cleaners are junk and they’re not needed

USAFRet

Titan
Be very very careful about random 'scripts' you find.

If you personally can't read and understand what each and every line in the script is doing, don't run it.

And if you CAN understand what each line is doing, you don't need a random script, and can just do it yourself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not like space is expensive anymore. The cleanup doesn't really achieve anything if you have lots of free space on drive. Its not like a phone where you restricted by amount of storage you can physically fit into the PC.

these tools are starting to be dinosaurs, windows can keep itself under control if you run storage sense, probably don't even need to schedule it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ge-sense-654f6ada-7bfc-45e5-966b-e24aded96ad5