M2N78-LA (Violet 6) motherboard 64 bit
16 GB DDR3 memory
AMD Phenom II X4 logo quadcore 2.8 GHz
1 TB SSD
4TB Hybrid SSD/HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium
Corsair 300R case
Corsair 750M power supply

I have a SSD that boots Windows 7 but the motherboard may be bad. If I get a new motherboard and CPU, what is the procedure to modify the OS so this SSD will boot the new hardware?

(This is a tl;dr of this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3523587/motherbo...)

Solution
1. That's not going to fix the licensing problem.
2. We don't even know what cpu and motherboard you are switching to so all we can do is guess. But assuming a newer beter platform then in all likelihood you are going to need a clean OS reinstall to get stable system running at optimum performance.

bignastyid

Titan

That pre-installed OEM license is tied to the HP motherboard and is non-transferable so a new motherboard means you are going to need to buy a new windows license aswell as do a clean reinstall.

mesapegasus

Prominent
Aug 28, 2017
I read in another thread something about booting to Safe Mode and installing motherboard drivers. Can that work? Does anyone have more information about that?

bignastyid

Titan
1. That's not going to fix the licensing problem.
2. We don't even know what cpu and motherboard you are switching to so all we can do is guess. But assuming a newer beter platform then in all likelihood you are going to need a clean OS reinstall to get stable system running at optimum performance.

Solution