Reinstall Windows 8 on laptop

Iain Gray

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Hello
My question will prove to be more complex than it seems superficially by looking at the title.
I wish to reinstall windows 8 on my laptop, using the product key provided with it, to remove restrictions put on my system in terms of driver downloads etc. Currently I have to go via Toshiba to update all my drivers with there modified versions. I know this is a way to promote themselves, but they do a terrible job as their own little versions of catalyst graphics drivers and chipset updates for example, are terribly neglected and out of date. I wanted to know if it was possible to use a current installation media (my copy of windows 8 pro on DVD) and use the product key provided with this laptop to install an unrestricted standard version of windows in which I am free to download my own drivers for. Please tell me if this is a bad idea and why it might fail, for example, I have thought that possibly the hardware configuration might be unique to Toshiba (like the motherboard may be unique to that laptop and/or Toshiba as a whole, and the use of the graphics adaptor may be unique as well). Thanks

Iain Gray

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Yeah I have, no luck. I mean, regardless of whether it's worthwhile or not, I'm going to be doing a reinstall (or complete factory reset if I keep with the current software config). Might just be worth keeping the Toshiba stuff on there rather than risking a problem. I only thought it would be worth doing if it was a process others had had success with. It's seeming more and more like an uncommon thing to do.

Well, I'll be interested to see if your Pro disk works with the OEM licence...you will probably have to delete all but the Recovery Partition to ensure a clean install, and before you take the plunge use Device Manager to take a note of the important devices' details, Ven and Dev numbers of any you want to use Manufacturer's drivers. If you install whilst connected to Internet Windows will install most of the drivers for you, and will probably source them from Toshiba... so maybe better to disconnect Ethernet and wireless adapter until you want to install drivers....
Have you considered replacing your HDD with an SSD? You won't know your machine if you do...