Reinstalled windows 7 internet worked fine. The next day it wouldn't connect even though my router and windows could see it.

etchasketch

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
So right off the bat I'm gonna throw out this disclaimer: I almost never use forums but I'm majorly screwed if I can't get my internet up so this is kind of a last resort. Basically though I'm not sure if this is the correct. Forum. Place. To post this so if it's not; mods just let me know and I'll go where I should be instead.

Anyways. So I re installed windows from a DVD last night (I had been having a weird super hard crash problem before this) and then restarted and went through and installed all my drivers and programs. Everything was working properly and connecting correctly. Then today when I started it back up nothing would connect. Skype, Steam, Chrome, IE, nothing. The weird part was that windows showed me as being connected and so did my router. I re installed the drivers and then re installed new drivers. I tried the ipconfig release/renew thing. Nothing works. Anyone have any ideas?

Let me know if more details are needed also.

Thanks!

Dysanix

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Try to boot Windows in Safe Mode (with network connection) and see if you can access the internet that way, then you'll know if it's a driver/router problem and no other things are interfering.

If that doesn't work, try hard-resetting your Modem and Router.

Clayto1332

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Try to ping a domain like google.com or yahoo.com. If you can ping 8.8.8.8 but cannot ping www.google.com, that would indicate a DNS problem. You can statically configure public DNS servers into your network adapter (8.8.8.8 happens to be a public one owned by google, 8.8.4.4 is an alternate) if your ISP is having DNS problems.

If you cannot ping 8.8.8.8 your internet is not working or your network adapter isn't working. I have seen on new installations a round of windows updates with an update to your Ethernet driver. If this driver is no good, it will cause your adapter to fail. If it was working before that means the old driver was good. Go to your device manager: Start> right click on computer and select manage>device manager. Once there look at your network adapters. You should be able to double click the one for your Ethernet adapter and open its properties. There should be an option to roll back your Ethernet driver to the old one. If this works, be sure and find the windows update that updates your Ethernet driver, right click it and remove so it doesn't put the bad driver on it again.

If your Ethernet driver doesn't have the option to roll back your driver, you can rule this out and you might just have an internet problem. Try connecting another device to your network and see if you can connect to the internet.