Reinstalling Windows 10 to newly upgraded SSD

Sep 18, 2018
Hi all,

I have an ASUS GL702VM laptop, with a 128Gb SSD and a 1Tb HDD for storage.

I've recently purchased a 500Gb Samsung 970 EVO SSD as an upgrade, and want to check the correct procedure for reinstalling windows 10:

1. Create installation media on USB.
2.Remove old SSD and HDD (does the HDD media drive definitely have to be removed?).
3. Insert new SSD and USB, boot and reinstall Windows 10 (I have a digital license linked to a Microsoft account to activate.)
4. Reinsert the HDD.

Is this the correct method? Will there be any problems with the HDD, should it be wiped before starting?

Thanks for any feedback you might have. I'm not particularly tech savvy, and don't want to mess anything up.

Solution
Yes to your procedure.

if your plan to do clean instal to whatever the HDD is storing, you can leave it be and just deleted any and all partitions during the W10 install, then redo the HDD partition from within Windows to allocate a drive letter.

I prefer clean installs on a new SSD, to ensure best performance, rather than cloning an existing install, that may come with it's own bagage.
Yes to your procedure.

if your plan to do clean instal to whatever the HDD is storing, you can leave it be and just deleted any and all partitions during the W10 install, then redo the HDD partition from within Windows to allocate a drive letter.

I prefer clean installs on a new SSD, to ensure best performance, rather than cloning an existing install, that may come with it's own bagage.

Solution