Reinstalling Windows 7 on a Prebuilt PC

MatthiasD

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Hi, I've seen a few of these forums already but none of these really resolved my issue. I'm refurbishing a 2007 prebuilt to sell for a new pc build, but have had trouble reinstalling Windows after wiping the drive. The problem is that I can't find an ISO image to download and put onto a flash drive for the install. I tried it on the Microsoft software recovery site and it asked me for a valid product key. I put in the one on the case and was greeted by a message saying that this code was from a prebuilt computer and that I should contact the manufacturer of my pc. I highly doubt that HP cares all that much about my old Pavilion Magnesium Gray Edition. Anybody have any ideas?

Solution
Find a friend or PC tech that has the OEM ISO files from before Microsoft removed the download, many people I know kept those files. As long as you use the right version of Windows for whatever license the computer had on it, there are no legal issues with just finding someone that has a disk.
Find a friend or PC tech that has the OEM ISO files from before Microsoft removed the download, many people I know kept those files. As long as you use the right version of Windows for whatever license the computer had on it, there are no legal issues with just finding someone that has a disk.

Solution