Reinstalling Windows 8.1 to SSD with same product key, and accessing old files

Twisterr1000

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
So I have just bought an SSD for my custom build. I currently have a 1TB HDD with windows 8.1 installed and all my files etc. My plan is to install windows 8.1 with the same product key from a bootable USB. So firstly, will windows activate properly? Also, could I access my old files from the HDD whilst on the OS installed on the SSD?
TIA

Solution
It should work just fine. If you've created a MS account you can log into during the installation(it'll ask when ready and just make sure your plugged in via ethernet in case the WIFI nic driver doesn't install correctly) and you won't even need the key. It will activate thru your account via online. As far as accessing the old files, shouldn't be a problem but once the SSD OS is up and running I'd delete the one on the HDD to prevent any system confusion. In regards to old files, if any of them are apps or games you may need to do some re-configuring with them to point them to the right drive. Most likely your OS will be C and the re-used drive will become D(unless you pick something else).

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
It should work just fine. If you've created a MS account you can log into during the installation(it'll ask when ready and just make sure your plugged in via ethernet in case the WIFI nic driver doesn't install correctly) and you won't even need the key. It will activate thru your account via online. As far as accessing the old files, shouldn't be a problem but once the SSD OS is up and running I'd delete the one on the HDD to prevent any system confusion. In regards to old files, if any of them are apps or games you may need to do some re-configuring with them to point them to the right drive. Most likely your OS will be C and the re-used drive will become D(unless you pick something else).

Solution

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Speaking about the wifi nic and ethernet. I'd recommend downloading any mobo/nic drivers beforehand and unzipping them to a flash drive. I've done fresh installs like this only to find out that for some reason those drivers are missing. Having them on hand can save some head aches if needed.

Twisterr1000

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Thanks for the reply, I'm installing 8.1 now. Anything specific I should do to delete the old OS from the HDD? not bothered about games, I'll do a clean install on most things this is all just because I can't find my portable hard drive to backup all the old files onto... I'll probably format the old HDD soon just need to backup files first which means finding this portable HDD

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Sounds like you're on the right track. Just an FYI if you wanted to avoid all the extra work of reinstall you could use migration software to pick and choose what to keep and it would move your OS for you. Otherwise, clean installs can give more efficient performance and less glitches.

Rule of thumb:Never erase anything until you've verified either everything is working like it should and the files you want to keep are truly backed up. Clean installs for your programs should give the best performance. Depending on how much you're going to backup it could take a while.

Games from Origin/Steam can be simply copied back after the re-format but you'll need to tell Origin/Steam where they are. Origin will need you to click on each game so it can check and act like its installing before allowing you to play. Steam will usually work as soon as you tell where the games are. It might do checks as needed.

Generally speaking your just going to need to let each program know where the files are now.