Relatively High-End PC randomly grinds to a halt.

tyronedobrunz

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
Hi Guys,
First post here,
My relatively performance pc often grinds to a halt, where my mouse is stuttering across the screen and any youtube video/game/application is also affected in the same manner. It seems to not be affected by how long my pc has been running. It is also instantly fixed when the Windows screen pops up asking me to click/change on Windows basic profile. In resource monitor it reveals around 7% of cpu usage. Is it possible that my power supply is dying and thus the cpu is throttling performance to accommodate that?
Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
My specs
CPU: i7 6700
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Radeon RX 480 8GB
Mobo: MSO Z170a M3

I'd first look at HWMonitor, and see what your temps are running, just to rule out any sort of thermal throttling. You should be 'throttle- free' all the way to 95C, although most don't like to see temps above 65-70C during gaming, but with a factory sink, you might see pushing 80C on gaming loads. What is your cooler? Factory heat sink?

Power profile in control panel/power options set to balanced?

tyronedobrunz

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017

Thanks for your reply, It does it when the computer is still warming up too, i'm usually never in a game when it occurs. I could just be casually browsing the internet and hover over "show desktop" in the bottom right hand corner of my monitor and it instantly shutters down the speed, it's like everything's in slow motion when the PC itself is very new with good hardware.
After it occurs a windows message pops up wanting to change my colour scheme as it notices my computer's performance is slow. As soon as i press the "put on windows basic" option everything is perfect again instantly.
It's almost as if my PC framerate is terrible in anything other than the windows 7 "basic theme".
Because without changing anything, changing to the basic theme instantly fixes my problem so it seems.
Thankyou so much for your reply, Ill get onto the HW monitor software right now.