[SOLVED] release hardware reserved memory?

Feb 22, 2019
I installed a new 4gig ram into my laptop, and now instead of 8 gigs i only have 7. one is hardware reserved. already made sure maximum memory in msconfig is unchecked and updated bios. according to cpu-z it seems that my graphics card is the culprit for squirreling away my lost gig, but i cant figure out how to free it up. theres no option in bios either. i did not have this issue with my old laptop, but it was running a intel card, my current one is running a AMD A6-6310 if that makes any difference, i dont know myself. After dozens of google searches, im at a loss for what to do.

https://ibb.co/Wc6TVBb

https://ibb.co/SQSyDf5

https://ibb.co/jGs3mjy

Solution
That memory is used by the APU's video controller to render images (just like the memory on a stand alone video card). You'll be fine. Have fun!
Feb 22, 2019
Until i decided to download cpu-z i was just flying blind wondering what was even reserving the memory, now that i suspect that its the graphics card doing it, i been trying to find a way to change how much is allocated with no luck. i checked AMD catalyst control center, but couldnt find a setting there either.

InvalidError

Titan
My mother bought herself a new Acer laptop based on the Ryzen 2500U and it is pretty much the same story: 1.1GB hardware-reserved memory, no option in BIOS to reduce the APU's reserved memory.

If the laptop manufacturer doesn't put the option in BIOS, you are out of luck.

Not the end of the world though: Windows and GPU-accelerated applications reserve GPU memory to render stuff and would end up using 300+MB against system memory if there isn't enough reserved memory for the APU anyway. If you play games, the drivers will likely end up increasing the IGP's memory footprint well beyond the 1GB reserved.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2019
The whole reason I bought this pc is the graphics card is far better than my previous one, and when purchased it only had 4g ram, either none was reserved, or a normal small amount was and i didnt notice. after installing an addition of 4 more, thats when the issue popped up. The whole reason i added more ram was to allow for a better gaming experience. if the missing ram were applied to my dedicated video memory, i could live with the lost gig, but i cant see how it is being used at all. one website i came across said AMD may reserve more memory based on how much you have available. the more you have, the more it reserves.

Feb 22, 2019
I cannot afford to purchase a high end gaming pc as much as id like one, so i have to make adjustments to what i can get to better my scores. so every bit of ram counts for me.

Feb 22, 2019
Not the end of the world though: Windows and GPU-accelerated applications reserve GPU memory to render stuff and would end up using 300+MB against system memory if there isn't enough reserved memory for the APU anyway. If you play games, the drivers will likely end up increasing the IGP's memory footprint well beyond the 1GB reserved.
does this mean that the missing gig will still be used for my games?

Feb 22, 2019
okay, i suppose theres just nothing i can do about it, as i was starting to suspect before posting here. Thanks or all the quick replies, this saved me alot of time wasted looking for a non existing solution. I still have 3 gigs more ram than i did this morning, so hopefully what the APU is hogging will at least be put to good use.

On a side note, im intending to downgrade to windows 8.1 soon, (I hate Win 10 with a purple passion, mostly due to the near constant 100% disk usage), I dont suppose this would change anything?