Relenting to Reinstall after strange issues! Help greatly appreciated!

McLaughg

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
Greetings Computer Gods!

I've been having a very strange set of issues that very well may be connected by one root cause that I haven't been able to establish quite yet. I recently built a completely new PC and had some initial issues installing windows 10 home, but eventually was able to get in and load everything up.

However, after getting my drivers setup, some minor Normal Use things going (Browser, games, etc) I began to notice some odd behavior with my new OS.

It really came to a point when I was trying to play on a 7DtD server that a friend owned. For the life of me, I could not launch the game with EAC active. I tried everything (or so I thought) to fix it. Administrator, checked registry, drivers, comparability, uninstalled, deleted app data, etc.

Finally, someone mentioned that with the newer windows updates the error magically was corrected (something about certificate authentication). So, I go into Update and Security and find the update was at 80% downloaded. Cool. I waited a few hours. Still 80%. I decided to try and restart thinking it was something with the machine needing to fully configure the update.

I was incorrect. The machine sat on the "Restarting" screen with the loading circle for an entire episode of Oliver Stones, Untold History of the U.S. (About an hour) before I just hard reset it.

At this point I tried again to reboot and restart, thinking maybe it just hung up. Same issue. Shutdowns with fast boot worked. I then went in to see what the update was at. However, that portion of the settings would no longer open. At all. It just clicked and the box outlined it, then I would close the settings window and try again.

I then tried to repair windows with the USB install media I have. I couldn't seem to get it to load. After hours of frustration, I relented and decided to try and reinstall windows. What did I have to lose it's a fresh install.

Here's where my soul was crushed. When I get into the windows installation, I selected 64 bit, loading windows files.. a pop-up appears, asks me if I want a clean install or remove the media to boot up. I select clean install...

Blank Darkish Blue screen with a cursor. I tried multiple times, but always got the same result. I left it to sit there for 30ish minutes hoping it just needed a breather. Nothing.

Help me Tom's Hardware, you're my only hope!

I'll get as much additional info as I can once I get back home from work. I unfortunately used all my off-shift, non-sleep time banging my head against the brick wall that is my PC.

I'll try just about anything, except sacrificing a small goat. That's where I have to draw the line.

I also attempted to stop the Windows Update service using the four commands to stop it, rename the folder, and then restart it. CMD prompt responses were something of "the service is starting or stopping try again later." And then I'm pretty sure my computer hissed at me. (Not really)

Solution
Wow. What a detailed message. First of all, the updates problem you are experiencing is common for windows 10 and I've had to fix it on my own computer several times, so rest assured, we will get you all fixed up.

Some background here first: Since the Windows 10 Cumulative Update, build 1607, users have been reporting mixed experiences with the "reset PC" and "repair PC" functions. For example: I've tried to use the "reset PC" function on 2 separate occasions in the past and they both became infinitely stuck and I had to do complete reinstalls upon fresh installs. So try not to use these options, until Microsoft gives users some love (Strange how they key-log all the windows 10 machines, but they don't even have a fix for that...

cilliers

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Wow. What a detailed message. First of all, the updates problem you are experiencing is common for windows 10 and I've had to fix it on my own computer several times, so rest assured, we will get you all fixed up.

Some background here first: Since the Windows 10 Cumulative Update, build 1607, users have been reporting mixed experiences with the "reset PC" and "repair PC" functions. For example: I've tried to use the "reset PC" function on 2 separate occasions in the past and they both became infinitely stuck and I had to do complete reinstalls upon fresh installs. So try not to use these options, until Microsoft gives users some love (Strange how they key-log all the windows 10 machines, but they don't even have a fix for that problem...)

To solve the windows update service problem, you have to follow this tutorial to the letter: http://www.howtogeek.com/247380/how-to-fix-windows-update-when-it-gets-stuck/

It is the ONLY tutorial that actually worked for me. But follow it closely and don't skip any steps.

Lets first see if you get the update service back up and running, before we tackle the 7DtD problem, OK?

Solution

McLaughg

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2012
Cilliers,

First off, you're a hero of heroes!

Secondly, I don't know if it's just the mobile version, but I could not find a way to respond here to you.

So after running through that tutorial you linked, the windows updates again downloaded and went through their installation process. I unfortunately had to leave the house and head back into work as it was restarting, but I have high hopes this worked.

Once I get home, I'll gladly post some updates and see what else may be an issue (7DtD).

Seriously, thanks a ton. I felt like I was at my wits end and would never have thought the windows troubleshooting would have actually worked. Truthfully, I feel somewhat pathetic for not even trying it before!

cilliers

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

You're welcome. Glad I could help.