Question Relentless ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY bluescreens after Windows reinstall

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
I currently have a Ryzen 3 2200G as the CPU and the Asrock AB350M-HDV as the mobo.
After updating my BIOS to the latest version (includes support for Zen 2) my Windows installation suddenly stopped working, sending me to the Recovery menu every time. I've noticed that the SSD partition (which is also the boot partition) is suddenly placed under the 2 hard drive partitions (so instead of the boot drive being labeled C:\, it's E;\ instead). After a long time of trying to find out the cause, I gave in and reinstalled Windows (to build 1903; for some reason the old installation [build 1803] just refuses to update outright).
Then not long after reinstallation I was bombarded with relentless freezes and bluescreens (6 unique BSODs at one point.) After installing drivers, the number of bluescreens has since reduced to just ATTEMPTED_WRITE (along with a few others here and there).
The system seems to crash seemingly at random (sometimes within a minute of rebooting from a bluescreen, other times several hours). That said a crash seems more likely if I access the system drive (such as opening Event Viewer or using a browser installed on C:\)
Here are the minidumps for the last 5 bluescreens. If MEMORY.DMP is requested I'll gladly provide that as well.
Before you ask, SFC, CHKDSK, DISM and resetting the PC didn't help. Memtest86 came out fine. Any other suggestions will be gladly accepted.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
ooops, i forgot to send a message saying he is probably formatting PC so dumps not exactly helpful.

based on dumps, I still would have updated LAN drivers. Installed were
Aug 28 2018rt640x64.sysRealtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver
Alright, I ran Memtest86 once again overnight just to be certain and yup, no issues after 10 passes. Can't be the memory then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did you ever update NIC drivers? yours are dated 28 aug 2018, I assume they are version 10.31.828.2018
the newest on Asrock website are dated May 21 2019 version 10035_05212019
they were put on Asrock site 5 days ago.

you could use the asrock App Store program to update drivers. If you have, its weird newest driver still using older parts - https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M-HDV/index.asp#Download

if you don't want to clean install to fix hdd mix up, updating driver might help as most of the apps that crashed are internet based.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
did you ever update NIC drivers? yours are dated 28 aug 2018, I assume they are version 10.31.828.2018
the newest on Asrock website are dated May 21 2019 version 10035_05212019
they were put on Asrock site 5 days ago.

you could use the asrock App Store program to update drivers. If you have, its weird newest driver still using older parts - https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M-HDV/index.asp#Download

if you don't want to clean install to fix hdd mix up, updating driver might help as most of the apps that crashed are internet based.
Okay then, seems like installing the new driver didn't help.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
SInce every BSOD blames parts of windows, I suggest you try the 2nd post here, it will force a BSOD if the problem is a driver - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

once you BSOD, upload the dumps and either Gardenman or PC will convert them for us.
Okay then, BSOD loop. That didn't take long. Here's the minidump for that.
WhoCrashed pointed to a VM-related driver (apparently from VirtualBox.. Interesting because I did run Verifier once before this as well and it pointed to yet another VirtualBox driver (has since uninstalled VBox but didn't solve anything).

Colif

Win 11 Master
All the errors are likely to be a driver, so if you get a BSOD after stopping that, run DV again and see what else it blames.

Do you use EaseUS Partition software often as its also one of the drivers that always seems to be in background. Only other drivers showing then were from AMD.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
All the errors are likely to be a driver, so if you get a BSOD after stopping that, run DV again and see what else it blames.

Do you use EaseUS Partition software often as its also one of the drivers that always seems to be in background. Only other drivers showing then were from AMD.
No I just downloaded the thing to try to figure out why the drive order is all messed up as well as do various things. Not exactly often.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017

No dice. It still bluescreens. And... odd, it suddenly updated after the BSOD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
the error description on MS website even says its a driver problem - The ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY bug check has a value of 0x000000BE. This is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment. - why your computer have to be so difficult

try this, download and run Driverview - all it does is shows what drivers are running.
when you start it, go into view and set it to hide all MIcrosoft drivers
that will make list short
take a screenshot showing the 2 date columns so I can see what is running and how old things are - upload to an image sharing website and show link here
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

i would suggest Safe mode but driver verifer can't do its job in safe mode as only windows drivers work there.

you could run in safe mode just to see if other BSOD happens but all that would prove is that its either a driver you are running still now (somehow) if it doesn't crash, or a Windows driver or hardware if you do. Its always same error, it points at driver, so I doubt its hardware, its too consistent.

most sites that offer fixes just want you to download some program that could just make things worse. makes using google to find solutions pointless sometimes.

eventually that clean install I suggested on last page is simplest way to remove a stubborn driver that refuses to show its face.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
the error description on MS website even says its a driver problem - The ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY bug check has a value of 0x000000BE. This is issued if a driver attempts to write to a read-only memory segment. - why your computer have to be so difficult

try this, download and run Driverview - all it does is shows what drivers are running.
when you start it, go into view and set it to hide all MIcrosoft drivers
that will make list short
take a screenshot showing the 2 date columns so I can see what is running and how old things are - upload to an image sharing website and show link here
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

i would suggest Safe mode but driver verifer can't do its job in safe mode as only windows drivers work there.

you could run in safe mode just to see if other BSOD happens but all that would prove is that its either a driver you are running still now (somehow) if it doesn't crash, or a Windows driver or hardware if you do. Its always same error, it points at driver, so I doubt its hardware, its too consistent.

most sites that offer fixes just want you to download some program that could just make things worse. makes using google to find solutions pointless sometimes.

eventually that clean install I suggested on last page is simplest way to remove a stubborn driver that refuses to show its face.
Alright I tried hanging around in Safe Mode to see if a bluescreen comes up and yep, still ATTEMPTED_WRITE.
Oddly enough some of these bluescreens can pop up while it's trying to load logs in Event Viewer (including just now). Looks to me like this is a Windows issue.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Alright I tried hanging around in Safe Mode to see if a bluescreen comes up and yep, still ATTEMPTED_WRITE.
Oddly enough some of these bluescreens can pop up while it's trying to load logs in Event Viewer (including just now). Looks to me like this is a Windows issue.
Probably more a hardware issue. If the issue still persists in safe mode, usually simply means your core OS is corrupt or you've got hardware misbehaving.

Simple way to find out is to clean install with a fresh OS from Microsoft Media Creation tool, if the issue persists, it's hardware. If not, problem solved.

Usually an attempted write will be indicative of RAM or storage drive, I know in my first post i asked if you could try a clean install on another storage drive, I would still be leaning towards RAM or Storage first. Faulty RAM can still pass memtest.

I would still put more emphasis on storage being as your SSD is fairly new, did the BSOD only start occurring after this? Did you have any before the SSD install?

Usually hardware errors come with a more erratic from of BSOD, however if it is one particular component repeating the same fault, it can happen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, we done SFC/DISM
I just noticed you had already confirmed that BSOD happens in Safe mode, too many pages. Sorry about that.

seems it can be hardware failure. its just we have tested the ram,
try creating this and run Prime95 off a USB to avoid windows - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

memory controller is on CPU

the disk it tells you to make also includes other testers for storage so run those as well while you there

Gardenmans report is saying -
WARNING: Can't read additional BIOS info. This can be caused by an
outdated BIOS. - and yet you have latest bios so something is odd. Normally it lists ram details

Reactions: PC Tailor

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
Probably more a hardware issue. If the issue still persists in safe mode, usually simply means your core OS is corrupt or you've got hardware misbehaving.

Simple way to find out is to clean install with a fresh OS from Microsoft Media Creation tool, if the issue persists, it's hardware. If not, problem solved.

Usually an attempted write will be indicative of RAM or storage drive, I know in my first post i asked if you could try a clean install on another storage drive, I would still be leaning towards RAM or Storage first. Faulty RAM can still pass memtest.

I would still put more emphasis on storage being as your SSD is fairly new, did the BSOD only start occurring after this? Did you have any before the SSD install?

Usually hardware errors come with a more erratic from of BSOD, however if it is one particular component repeating the same fault, it can happen.
Well, like I said I recently got my RAM back from RMA and running 10 memtest passes came out fine and dandy.
I personally never saw any sort of BSOD before BIOS update and the ensuing reinstallation but I have heard of my brother talking of rare BSODs.
Like I mentioned, the previous installation already exhibited some odd issues (such as being unable to update to build 1903 no matter what) and I feel like reinstalling really made hell break loose.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I only suggest it normally if people are having problems. Asrock site says similar in red writing.

Shame you can't roll back as a warning at end of description of current bios on Asrock site says: User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.

so backwards isn't an option... you have latest AMD driver.

I think you need to clean install as, at the very least, it will fix order of drives up while you at it. That might even be part of the problem though I am not sure how.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
I only suggest it normally if people are having problems. Asrock site says similar in red writing.

Shame you can't roll back as a warning at end of description of current bios on Asrock site says: User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.

so backwards isn't an option... you have latest AMD driver.

I think you need to clean install as, at the very least, it will fix order of drives up while you at it. That might even be part of the problem though I am not sure how.
Update after a few days: Seems like I missed one of your posts so I went and ran Prime95 (blend) overnight. Came out fine.
I then reinstalled Nox (app with the borked driver) and didn't work. Verifier still pointed out that same driver and BCD shenanigans occured (also took the chance to move the EFI partition to the SSD).
Right now I have 3 options: Clean reinstall Windows (though I'm not sure you mean how clean), but I don't exactly have access to any kind of backup software (don't have an external drive; maybe I'll use that 30 day Acronis trial?), RMA my mobo (because BIOS update started this whole fiasco) or get it repaired (because I'm running out of options).

Last edited: