• Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Question Relentless ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY bluescreens after Windows reinstall

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PC Tailor

Dignified
Herald
But yes, using Linux Mint on this machine seems to be okay. No kernel panics or anything.
If it runs fine on Linux it is probably still likely hardware or firmware. The efficiency of Linux also means it doesn't utilise all of the resource available to it, so quite often it never actually touches the problem, so it never shows. So thorough testing would be needed.

That and ensuring BIOS is completely reset to default and any peripherals aren't causing the issue.

finn183

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
If it runs fine on Linux it is probably still likely hardware or firmware. The efficiency of Linux also means it doesn't utilise all of the resource available to it, so quite often it never actually touches the problem, so it never shows. So thorough testing would be needed.

That and ensuring BIOS is completely reset to default and any peripherals aren't causing the issue.
I don't exactly have a lot of experience with Linux so dunno how to test it really.

finn183

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
Potential final update: I brought the whole computer to the computer store to get it checked. Oddly enough they said no problems were found but did do some reinstalling and now after a week everything seems fine again, mostly. Only encountered 2 BSODs so far (still ATTEMPTED_WRITE).
EDIT: discard what I iust said. It seems like the bombardment is starting to resume again. This time it doesn't even show a BSOD, the mouse pointer just disappears, the system locks up then reboots. I checked and they are all ATTEMPTED_WRITE still.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 10 Master
well, it could be one of them causing this. As if it was fine for the repair place, it could well be something you plugged in at home

My last 2 clean installs were to try to fix problems that I only found out were peripherals after the fact. One was my speakers, other was my mouse. I wasn't getting BSOD though. But it could be the drivers for those devices that are bugged out.

Give us minidumps as well since I assume its still set up?

I can't recall, does it crash in safe mode?

Reactions: PC Tailor

finn183

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
well, it could be one of them causing this. As if it was fine for the repair place, it could well be something you plugged in at home

My last 2 clean installs were to try to fix problems that I only found out were peripherals after the fact. One was my speakers, other was my mouse. I wasn't getting BSOD though. But it could be the drivers for those devices that are bugged out.

Give us minidumps as well since I assume its still set up?

I can't recall, does it crash in safe mode?
Alright, more dumps your way. Note that 2 of these might be incomplete since I reset the PC before it could reboot itself. And also iirc it did bluescreen in safe mode as well.

Colif

Win 10 Master
Can you list the devices you have attached to PC? You may have already (thread is 4 pages long) so I am sorry. I suspect its something you plug into PC that is to blame. it might be the thing you least suspect. LIke my speakers, they were part of family and suddenly they were causing weirdness in PC, and since they were part of furniture I never suspected them for a second. PC worked fine without them attached, would not boot properly with them attached.

last time I clean installed I had given it to a shop and they tested it for 2 days and it only started doing it again when i got home, and plugged in my mouse.

That is what I think is case here.

finn183

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
Can you list the devices you have attached to PC? You may have already (thread is 4 pages long) so I am sorry. I suspect its something you plug into PC that is to blame. it might be the thing you least suspect. LIke my speakers, they were part of family and suddenly they were causing weirdness in PC, and since they were part of furniture I never suspected them for a second.

last time I clean installed I had given it to a shop and they tested it for 2 days and it only started doing it again when i got home, and plugged in my mouse.

That is what I think is case here.
To summarize: my KB&M, a gamepad and a headset (the latter two are currently unplugged). I'm kinda suspecting the headset so I'll go ahead and test to see if the suspicion's correct. That said, I'm currently having it plugged into a laptop and things seem fine so far.

Colif

Win 10 Master
The device might still work fine, but be slowly dying. My speakers worked fine, i had no idea it was them until
  1. PC worked fine after fresh install without speakers attached
  2. right after plugging them in, problem started again
  3. soon after they stopped supporting back speakers in analog
  4. soon after that they stopped supporting Digital output
  5. then they died and I was sad.
They were 15 years old, I guess it was time. I was still sad...

So just cause it works, doesn't mean its not the cause. How old are they?

finn183

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
The device might still work fine, but be slowly dying. My speakers worked fine, i had no idea it was them until
  1. PC worked fine after fresh install without speakers attached
  2. right after plugging them in, problem started again
  3. soon after they stopped supporting back speakers in analog
  4. soon after that they stopped supporting Digital output
  5. then they died and I was sad.
They were 15 years old, I guess it was time. I was still sad...

So just cause it works, doesn't mean its not the cause. How old are they?
I bought this headset just a month ago. Same with gamepad. Keyboard and mouse are around a year old.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS