Question Relentless ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY bluescreens after Windows reinstall

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
I currently have a Ryzen 3 2200G as the CPU and the Asrock AB350M-HDV as the mobo.
After updating my BIOS to the latest version (includes support for Zen 2) my Windows installation suddenly stopped working, sending me to the Recovery menu every time. I've noticed that the SSD partition (which is also the boot partition) is suddenly placed under the 2 hard drive partitions (so instead of the boot drive being labeled C:\, it's E;\ instead). After a long time of trying to find out the cause, I gave in and reinstalled Windows (to build 1903; for some reason the old installation [build 1803] just refuses to update outright).
Then not long after reinstallation I was bombarded with relentless freezes and bluescreens (6 unique BSODs at one point.) After installing drivers, the number of bluescreens has since reduced to just ATTEMPTED_WRITE (along with a few others here and there).
The system seems to crash seemingly at random (sometimes within a minute of rebooting from a bluescreen, other times several hours). That said a crash seems more likely if I access the system drive (such as opening Event Viewer or using a browser installed on C:\)
Here are the minidumps for the last 5 bluescreens. If MEMORY.DMP is requested I'll gladly provide that as well.
Before you ask, SFC, CHKDSK, DISM and resetting the PC didn't help. Memtest86 came out fine. Any other suggestions will be gladly accepted.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
But yes, using Linux Mint on this machine seems to be okay. No kernel panics or anything.

If it runs fine on Linux it is probably still likely hardware or firmware. The efficiency of Linux also means it doesn't utilise all of the resource available to it, so quite often it never actually touches the problem, so it never shows. So thorough testing would be needed.

That and ensuring BIOS is completely reset to default and any peripherals aren't causing the issue.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
If it runs fine on Linux it is probably still likely hardware or firmware. The efficiency of Linux also means it doesn't utilise all of the resource available to it, so quite often it never actually touches the problem, so it never shows. So thorough testing would be needed.

That and ensuring BIOS is completely reset to default and any peripherals aren't causing the issue.
I don't exactly have a lot of experience with Linux so dunno how to test it really.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
Potential final update: I brought the whole computer to the computer store to get it checked. Oddly enough they said no problems were found but did do some reinstalling and now after a week everything seems fine again, mostly. Only encountered 2 BSODs so far (still ATTEMPTED_WRITE).
EDIT: discard what I iust said. It seems like the bombardment is starting to resume again. This time it doesn't even show a BSOD, the mouse pointer just disappears, the system locks up then reboots. I checked and they are all ATTEMPTED_WRITE still.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, it could be one of them causing this. As if it was fine for the repair place, it could well be something you plugged in at home

My last 2 clean installs were to try to fix problems that I only found out were peripherals after the fact. One was my speakers, other was my mouse. I wasn't getting BSOD though. But it could be the drivers for those devices that are bugged out.

Give us minidumps as well since I assume its still set up?

I can't recall, does it crash in safe mode?

Reactions: PC Tailor

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
well, it could be one of them causing this. As if it was fine for the repair place, it could well be something you plugged in at home

My last 2 clean installs were to try to fix problems that I only found out were peripherals after the fact. One was my speakers, other was my mouse. I wasn't getting BSOD though. But it could be the drivers for those devices that are bugged out.

Give us minidumps as well since I assume its still set up?

I can't recall, does it crash in safe mode?
Alright, more dumps your way. Note that 2 of these might be incomplete since I reset the PC before it could reboot itself. And also iirc it did bluescreen in safe mode as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you list the devices you have attached to PC? You may have already (thread is 4 pages long) so I am sorry. I suspect its something you plug into PC that is to blame. it might be the thing you least suspect. LIke my speakers, they were part of family and suddenly they were causing weirdness in PC, and since they were part of furniture I never suspected them for a second. PC worked fine without them attached, would not boot properly with them attached.

last time I clean installed I had given it to a shop and they tested it for 2 days and it only started doing it again when i got home, and plugged in my mouse.

That is what I think is case here.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
Can you list the devices you have attached to PC? You may have already (thread is 4 pages long) so I am sorry. I suspect its something you plug into PC that is to blame. it might be the thing you least suspect. LIke my speakers, they were part of family and suddenly they were causing weirdness in PC, and since they were part of furniture I never suspected them for a second.

last time I clean installed I had given it to a shop and they tested it for 2 days and it only started doing it again when i got home, and plugged in my mouse.

That is what I think is case here.
To summarize: my KB&M, a gamepad and a headset (the latter two are currently unplugged). I'm kinda suspecting the headset so I'll go ahead and test to see if the suspicion's correct. That said, I'm currently having it plugged into a laptop and things seem fine so far.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The device might still work fine, but be slowly dying. My speakers worked fine, i had no idea it was them until
  1. PC worked fine after fresh install without speakers attached
  2. right after plugging them in, problem started again
  3. soon after they stopped supporting back speakers in analog
  4. soon after that they stopped supporting Digital output
  5. then they died and I was sad.
They were 15 years old, I guess it was time. I was still sad...

So just cause it works, doesn't mean its not the cause. How old are they?

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
The device might still work fine, but be slowly dying. My speakers worked fine, i had no idea it was them until
  1. PC worked fine after fresh install without speakers attached
  2. right after plugging them in, problem started again
  3. soon after they stopped supporting back speakers in analog
  4. soon after that they stopped supporting Digital output
  5. then they died and I was sad.
They were 15 years old, I guess it was time. I was still sad...

So just cause it works, doesn't mean its not the cause. How old are they?
I bought this headset just a month ago. Same with gamepad. Keyboard and mouse are around a year old.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
Guess we wait and see what dumps say and if you get another without it plugged in.
I suppose I should give an update after nearly 4 whole months (sorry) and start this fiasco again: Long story short, I brought it to a computer store where they miraculously mostly stabilized the system. All is well with only occasional BSODs until this month where everything goes back to square one and I get the same relentless BSODs all over again.
I downloaded Windbg to give myself an idea of what the hell is going on with the system, and the results are kinda... all over the place. Chrome, intensive games, even system processes, pretty much anything can cause the BSOD. Interestingly I've seen some overlap with parameter 1 (the virtual address) in some of the BSODs. Parameter 2 remains consistent throughout, which might be notable as well.
I also got the random SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with the exception code that indicates a memory access violation occurred.

This might as well mean that there is something weird going on with memory reading, but I already got the RAM replaced once...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://rambunctiousrater.htmlpasta.com/
File information:123019-8015-01.dmp (Dec 30 2019 - 09:43:42)
Bugcheck:ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (BE)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)

File information:123019-7765-01.dmp (Dec 30 2019 - 02:18:56)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 53 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

File information:122919-7875-01.dmp (Dec 28 2019 - 22:14:12)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

File information:122919-7828-01.dmp (Dec 28 2019 - 16:56:02)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 27 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File information:122819-7640-01.dmp (Dec 28 2019 - 08:56:55)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: League of Legends.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 24 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350M-HDV/index.asp
There is a BIOS update available for your system (Version 6.0). You are using version 5.9. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: There are also revisions of this board and dump files usually do not specify which revision you are on. Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

finn183

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017