Reliable budget DOCSIS 3.0 Modem

drewnashty

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hello folks, i'm looking to upgrade from my old Motorola Surfboard 6101N to a reliable DOCSIS 3.0 modem since I just upgraded to a 100mbit connection.

So far I've found the Arris Surfboard 6121 to be a valid upgrade for my 100 mbit connection but for the price I can get a Netgear CM400 which offers more download bandwidth speed for years ahead.

I'm assuming the 6121 is just as reliable as my old Surfboard but how are the new Netgear modems? Should I just buy the 6121 and call it a day or do you think the Netgear will be just as reliable but for the relatively same price give me some more years before the ISP speeds force to upgrade again.

Solution
Motorola has been the benchmark DOCSIS modem brand for years (you have one now). Netgear equipment is usually pretty reliable. I have several of their managed switches (GS108). I am the conservative type and purchase the benchmark vendor whenever possible -- HP printers, Dell monitors, Crucial RAM. I would get the Motorola.

drewnashty

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Both are on the recommended list but that does not answer my question.

kanewolf

Titan
Motorola has been the benchmark DOCSIS modem brand for years (you have one now). Netgear equipment is usually pretty reliable. I have several of their managed switches (GS108). I am the conservative type and purchase the benchmark vendor whenever possible -- HP printers, Dell monitors, Crucial RAM. I would get the Motorola.

Solution