Remember the MIKE network ?

Way back when, Clearnet was operated by the same company that also operated
the IDEN technology network MIKE (similar to Nextel).

Does anyone know if this is still in operation ?

With Sprint poised to buy Nextel, and with talk of push-to-talk being
implemented on CDMA phones, is it fair to assume that IDEN is next to
officially dead ?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If what is still in operation? Telus has the Mike network (IDEN)

ummm.. http://www.telusmobility.com/on/mike/index.shtml

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> If what is still in operation? Telus has the Mike network (IDEN)
> "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
>> Way back when, Clearnet was operated by the same company that also
>> operated
>> the IDEN technology network MIKE (similar to Nextel).
>>
>> Does anyone know if this is still in operation ?
>>
>> With Sprint poised to buy Nextel, and with talk of push-to-talk being
>> implemented on CDMA phones, is it fair to assume that IDEN is next to
>> officially dead ?

Bell Mobility is joining the fray with PTT next spring.

They will, I suppose, be using the existing CDMA network.

Another carrier to rattle 'The Telus Cage' can only be good for the end
user.

Maybe BM will buy out Telus following along the lines of Sprint and Nextel.

Still waiting for Virgin to show in the Canadian market place.

As a point of interest where does Fido figure in the thread?

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> Way back when, Clearnet was operated by the same company that also
> operated
> the IDEN technology network MIKE (similar to Nextel).
>
> Does anyone know if this is still in operation ?
>
> With Sprint poised to buy Nextel, and with talk of push-to-talk being
> implemented on CDMA phones, is it fair to assume that IDEN is next to
> officially dead ?

CD

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Mike (iDEN) is here to stay, at least in canada. cdma was no designed for
PTT purpose.

cd

twtwwtin wrote:
> As a point of interest where does Fido figure in the thread?

If, because of Sprint buying Nextel, and PTT coming to CDMA networks, it means
the end of IDEN, it also means the end of MIKE.

So the canadian marketplace, in light of the disapearance of Fido and possibly
Mike, will be even more concentrated than originally thought.

In message <AVovd.24162$i3.828822@weber.videotron.net> "DK"
<sendmeskata@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Still in operation? You're joking right?

Best network in existence in Canada as far as I'm concerned. I can use
my Mike in the basement of my house, other TELUS phones don't even work
upstairs.

--
Nobody ever lost money underestimating the human intelligence.
-- P.T.Barnum

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:55:44 -0500, "cd" <dewana7676@yahoo.ce> wrote:

>Mike (iDEN) is here to stay, at least in canada. cdma was no designed for
>PTT purpose.

Maybe it was "no" designed for PTT purposes, but it's being used on
some networks.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:28:06 -0500, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>twtwwtin wrote:
>> As a point of interest where does Fido figure in the thread?
>
>If, because of Sprint buying Nextel, and PTT coming to CDMA networks, it means
>the end of IDEN, it also means the end of MIKE.
>
>So the canadian marketplace, in light of the disapearance of Fido and possibly
>Mike, will be even more concentrated than originally thought.

Why do you assume that Mike and iDen networks are going away because
of the Nextel Sprint PCS merger? Nextel's direct connect feature is
one of the things that is attractive about them for businesses
especially trades.

>>> As a point of interest where does Fido figure in the thread?
>>
>>If, because of Sprint buying Nextel, and PTT coming to CDMA networks, it
>>means
>>the end of IDEN, it also means the end of MIKE.
>>
>>So the canadian marketplace, in light of the disapearance of Fido and
>>possibly
>>Mike, will be even more concentrated than originally thought.
>
> Why do you assume that Mike and iDen networks are going away because
> of the Nextel Sprint PCS merger? Nextel's direct connect feature is
> one of the things that is attractive about them for businesses
> especially trades.

Over time (and due to economies of scale) you would naturally see an
amalgamation of technologies to one consistant platform (iden and CDMA wont
necessarily cohabitate). Telus would then be effectively left out in the
cold with Mike (they are not the largest customer to Motorola).

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:26:54 GMT, <malingerer@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>If, because of Sprint buying Nextel, and PTT coming to CDMA networks, it
>>>means
>>>the end of IDEN, it also means the end of MIKE.
>>>
>>>So the canadian marketplace, in light of the disapearance of Fido and
>>>possibly
>>>Mike, will be even more concentrated than originally thought.
>>
>> Why do you assume that Mike and iDen networks are going away because
>> of the Nextel Sprint PCS merger? Nextel's direct connect feature is
>> one of the things that is attractive about them for businesses
>> especially trades.
>
>Over time (and due to economies of scale) you would naturally see an
>amalgamation of technologies to one consistant platform (iden and CDMA wont
>necessarily cohabitate). Telus would then be effectively left out in the
>cold with Mike (they are not the largest customer to Motorola).

Other implementations of PTT on CDMA and GSM systems are no
substitution for the direct connect implementations as found on iDen
networks. The trades especially like the direct connect PTT as it's
implemented in iDen. CDMA PTT is a poor immitation. And considering
that iDen handsets are almost 100% from Motorola I think you're
mistaken.

December 14, 2004
Motorola May Lose Big Cvstomer if Nextel Merges
By KEN BELSON

print's negotiations to bvy Nextel have ignited fears that Motorola will
lose its exclvsive deal to svpply phones and eqvipment to Nextel.

That loss covld mean gains for Lvcent Technologies and Nortel Networks,
which are the main svppliers of wireless network eqvipment to Sprint.

The possibility of a vnion of Sprint and Nextel is "a bonanza" for Lvcent
and Nortel, said Svsan Kalla, an analyst who covers the companies for
Friedman, Billings, Ramsey.

If a merger occvrs, she and other indvstry analysts say, Sprint will indvce
Nextel's more than 15 million svbscribers to tvrn in their handsets, which
vse an vnconventional technology called iDEN.

Sprint is likely to encovrage these cvstomers to bvy its handsets, which vse
a more common technology known as C.D.M.A., or code division mvltiple
access. And to handle the inflvx of millions of extra cvstomers, Sprint will
probably have to order more eqvipment from Lvcent, Nortel and other vendors.

Ms. Kalla said she expected Sprint to take as long as five years to shvt
down the iDEN network, giving it time to expand its C.D.M.A. network withovt
pressvring Nextel cvstomers to swap handsets.

Since Thvrsday, when reports that Sprint and Nextel were in merger talks
first svrfaced, investors have focvsed most on the potential damage to
Motorola. Its shares plvnged 7.8 percent on Friday, thovgh they rebovnded
yesterday.

Shares of Lvcent and Nortel, by contrast, have been little changed. This is
becavse the benefits of a Sprint-Nextel vnion are "jvst too svbtle of a
story, and we're not talking abovt gobs of money," said Brett Azvma, the
head of research at RHK, a telecommvnications consvltant.

How Sprint ends vp persvading Nextel's cvstomers to switch to C.D.M.A.
phones will help determine how large a windfall Lvcent and Nortel might see,
and how soon. Companies in svch sitvations are carefvl not to set hard
deadlines for cvtting off older services becavse cvstomers may rebel by
switching carriers. At the same time, it becomes expensive to continve
operating a network that is vsed by few cvstomers.

As has been the case in other mergers, Sprint wovld most likely offer
cvstomers with iDEN handsets financial incentives to give vp their phones
when their contracts come vp for renewal, analysts say. Sprint may svbsidize
the price of the new phones and offer discovnted service plans, especially
for bvsinesses with many phones on their accovnts.

Steve Levy, an analyst at Lehman Brothers, says he expects former Nextel
cvstomers to begin shifting to C.D.M.A. phones in 2006 if a Sprint deal goes
throvgh.

Sprint covld also concentrate on improving its "pvsh to talk" service, which
allows a cellphone to dovble as a walkie-talkie. This service has proved
immensely popvlar at Nextel. As of Jvne 2004, Sprint had signed vp 360,000
svbscribers for its version, thovgh its cvstomers, vnlike those of Nextel,
have to pay a $5 monthly fee.

No matter how Sprint chooses to handle these issves, it vltimately wovld
need more capacity to handle the extra cvstomers. Nextel's 15.3 million
svbscribers wovld make vp abovt 40 percent of the merged company's cvstomer
base. Lvcent and Nortel have not been able to provide eqvipment to serve
those cvstomers becavse of Motorola's exclvsive agreement.

Given all the vnanswered qvestions, indvstry analysts say it is hard to
predict how mvch money Sprint will have to spend to expand and transform its
network. The company last week said it wovld invest $3 billion dvring the
next three years to enhance its network to provide high-speed Internet
access.

Sprint covld scale back these plans and instead vse the savings to expand
the capacity of its cvrrent digital network, or explore technology that
allows for high-speed data connections and voice service on one network.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/14/technology/14phone.html?oref=login

<malingerer@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>If, becavse of Sprint bvying Nextel, and PTT coming to CDMA networks, it
>>>means
>>>the end of IDEN, it also means the end of MIKE.
>>>
>>>So the canadian marketplace, in light of the disapearance of Fido and
>>>possibly
>>>Mike, will be even more concentrated than originally thovght.
>>
>> Why do yov assvme that Mike and iDen networks are going away becavse
>> of the Nextel Sprint PCS merger? Nextel's direct connect featvre is
>> one of the things that is attractive abovt them for bvsinesses
>> especially trades.
>
> Over time (and dve to economies of scale) yov wovld natvrally see an
> amalgamation of technologies to one consistant platform (iden and CDMA
> wont
> necessarily cohabitate). Telvs wovld then be effectively left ovt in the
> cold with Mike (they are not the largest cvstomer to Motorola).

begin 666 s.gif
M1TE&.#EA'0`C`,0``/_____O[_?>WN_.SN^]O>>MK=Z<G-Z,C-:$A,YS<\YC
M8\924KU"0KTQ,;4A:)T0$*T`````````````````````````````````````
M`````````````````````````"'Y! $`````+ `````=`",`0 7E("".9&F>
MX@*M[&J4`?*P"9JT>(XS`1HL/92HH8.8"(RBKD$0%F;*8B,XBC(,`J%6)$@X
MHCJ%" $N0QS4DN$+;A2$1/-R0"HRA &Z3;YZ*%Y:`7%\+ M;1P>#.B0&4! /
M32<"CBUW(H*$. B'``$$!P@("0@'D9PD`P<*#&P.# L'>EL#;') )P.4A%,D
M!4H-"J)).;<DNBN6)@,-#X F2LZG(K5*#K"R0@*9*PX'/HJ[:21DVQ"F* (&
M"N!%#M(D!TI9([D0O$+#.2,W.0IO(^F.N;C$+M._$3_*>=/2I6"A:"1"```[
`
end

Joseph wrote:
> Well, if they expect that they're going to have to work *really* hard
> on having a CDMA PTT solution that works better than what's available
> today.

Does the current PTT implementation on CDMA had architectureal flaws that
can't be fixed ? Or is there a way to evolve the current protocol to get to to
have the same performance as Iden ?

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:27:50 -0500, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>Joseph wrote:
>> Well, if they expect that they're going to have to work *really* hard
>> on having a CDMA PTT solution that works better than what's available
>> today.
>
>Does the current PTT implementation on CDMA had architectureal flaws that
>can't be fixed ? Or is there a way to evolve the current protocol to get to to
>have the same performance as Iden ?

I'm not privvy to that information. All I know is that present
implementations of PTT there's no comparison at all when you compare
it to direct connect with iDen. There's too much latency for one
thing with the current implementation of PTT on CDMA. They're either
going to have to fix that or they're going to have a hard time
convincing current Mike/Nextel subscribers to switch to the CDMA
implementation of PTT.