Reminder: Don't Forget to Watch the PlayStation Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
Try these:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/20/today-watch-playstation-meeting-2013-live-at-6pm-eastern-time/
or
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/02/20/playstation-meeting-2013-livestream/

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
besides what's the big whoop about the PS4 being announced? You know it's coming. It's not like Sony is going to say "Well, the PS3 was pretty successful, We should quit while we're ahead, right guys?"

Like, no duh they're going to make a new one. What are they afraid of, all those kickstarter linux and android game consoles that retail for 50 bucks? Sheesh.

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]besides what's the big whoop about the PS4 being announced? You know it's coming. It's not like Sony is going to say "Well, the PS3 was pretty successful, We should quit while we're ahead, right guys?"[/citation]
Seriously?

How would this sound to you if someone said the same thing about a new GPU?
besides what's the big whoop about the GeForce GTX Titan being announced? You know it's coming. It's not like Nvidia is going to say "Well, the GTX 680 was pretty successful, We should quit while we're ahead, right guys?"

It's news, not a sponsored ad.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
This system could be a winner if everything they say works good as intended.
So far, can't tell if the graphics are a win since the live stream is at a lower quality, but meh.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
The live broadcast spent all the time so far talking about the social stuff and online improvements - so if you're into online gaming you're going to get a lot of love. The 5 people who bought PS-Vita's will get cool features like being able to switch games between the two on the fly. Now they're showing a demo of a generic military fps... looks good but military shooters are played out for me. Next something called Driveclub... group racing. Clearly they're pushing the social thing, and still I've not heard much about performance. I think maybe the 'social gaming' phenomena has them thinking that performance isn't as important as online features. Maybe they're right, but I don't think the PS4 is going to have much to offer me based on what they're focusing on in the rollout.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Seriously?How would this sound to you if someone said the same thing about a new GPU?besides what's the big whoop about the GeForce GTX Titan being announced? You know it's coming. It's not like Nvidia is going to say "Well, the GTX 680 was pretty successful, We should quit while we're ahead, right guys?"It's news, not a sponsored ad.[/citation]

The big difference is that for the announcement of a new series of video cards, people actually care about the specs. All that console gamers care about is when it's out and how much it costs. The really hardcore ones might care about how much RAM it has, because every console fanboy knows RAM is what makes games go fast.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
PC Gamers should be happy, it is x86 based console with 8gb of DDR5 ram.

Hopefully the quality of PC titles will be lifted due to the architecture closely resembling a PC.

G

[citation][nom]Jprobes[/nom]PC Gamers should be happy, it is x86 based console with 8gb of DDR5 ram.Hopefully the quality of PC titles will be lifted due to the architecture closely resembling a PC.[/citation]
Uhm no, I had these graphics and specs on my PC 2 years ago. To impress me they would have put in a 256Gb SSD hard drive, 16gb ram, and a 8000 AMD series/700 Nvidia series cards capable of 4K playback not just 1080p. Then we will talk, but so far I'm not impressed, but hey if your 12- 25 years old I'm sure this impresses.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Uhm no, I had these graphics and specs on my PC 2 years ago. To impress me they would have put in a 256Gb SSD hard drive, 16gb ram, and a 8000 AMD series/700 Nvidia series cards capable of 4K playback not just 1080p. Then we will talk, but so far I'm not impressed, but hey if your 12- 25 years old I'm sure this impresses.[/citation]

Considering that about 98% of the Home PC's in America do not even have those specifications, btw what is the memory bandwidth of a PC? 21-27GB/s max? Not very impressive to this 34 year old.

Then again I was referring to game development. Now that a console will be released which closely resembles a PC will help facilitate development.

FYI, PS4's memory bandwidth is ~130GB/s and I cant imagine that it's GPU bandwidth would be anything less then what a PCIe 3.0 16x

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I must say this announcement pleasantly surprised me. x86 APU(8 core) will undoubtably mean better, easier ports for developers. the social aspect of the console was pretty good too, it didnt turn out to be some more PS Home kind of thing, but more of streaming and multiplayer singleplayer(it makes sense once you see what it is). the streaming full games before you buy thing was great too. also the mid game pause hibernate feature(if it works as explained) should be great. it looks like theyre putting alot of effort towards a good singleplayer console. about the controller I aprove of the headphone jack being on it. this console was mentioned to be easier to develope with also.

I cant find any reasons to complain yet. the stream quality wasnt amazing.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002

Considering that a 4k TV is going to run you $20k or so, and a Sharp 4k PC display will be $5k+ (when it become available), I'd say that the number of PC's in America that can hit those spec's is more like 0.01% or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.