Remote access to a server

Radu Marginean

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
Hello,
I work in a small construction business and I acquired a Black Armour NAS 220 server. The server is connected to the internet directly from a router. We access the date directly from the server using the local network from the router. I want to know if it is possible to manage and work with the files remote from other location using the internet but without FTP connection. Because the files are linked to each other is very hard to work with them remote and also the results must be updated to the server also. The files we are working with are mainly AutoCAD drawings (.dwg format) and MS Excel tables (.xls format). Also I want other of my co-workers from other regions of the country to work on this server and with the same files as I do.
I am hoping you will give me a solution to this problem. Thank you.

Solution
You could either setup a VPN (virtual private network) that would allow the remote computers to act like they are LAN connected, OR you could setup one or more computers that your remote users could remotely connect to. Since the computer accessing the NAS really is local and only the display is being sent to externals, all the access is the same as any LAN access.

kanewolf

Titan
You could either setup a VPN (virtual private network) that would allow the remote computers to act like they are LAN connected, OR you could setup one or more computers that your remote users could remotely connect to. Since the computer accessing the NAS really is local and only the display is being sent to externals, all the access is the same as any LAN access.

Solution

Radu Marginean

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016

Thank you very much for your quick answer. I will research more on how to set up this VPN connection and I hope it will work. Thanks again.

kanewolf

Titan

If you are using a business grade router, it should be able to handle the termination of the VPN. The remote computers would run a small software package to tunnel their access across the internet in the VPN. If you have a windows domain, you may have to create profiles for these "new" local users and computers.

Radu Marginean

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
I did some research on my own but i didn't succed to understand what steps do i need to follow for establishing this VPN connection. The router connected to the file server is a TP-Link TL-WR841ND. If you have any leads from where to begin and what steps to follow that will help me very much.
Thank you for your implication

kanewolf

Titan
My first recommendation, if you want to create a VPN is to get a router that is designed to do it. You have a low end home router which you are THINKING about implementing business functionality. Look at some of the VPN routers over at SmallNetBuilder.com -- http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tags/VPN
Zyxel is a very popular small business router.
There are also VPN how-to articles on SmallNetBuilder.com