[SOLVED] remote connection to a server

Hey guys and gals, i just finished setting up a 12tb server from years ago, ages ago, my first server from When I was 14. 12years ago..... And I have a a 960 4gb sc in it, with a 6th movie drive full and a 6th music drive full, however the point of this build was to stream music and movies "without internet"..... However I dont remeber what I did or how I did it in the past. Or if in remebering wrong and in the past i still had it over wifi.... But I swear when I first built this sever i had been streaming movies from it in the basement to my room on the third floor. And in doing this there was no internet.... I think my dad and I ran a 1000ft ethernet cord from one to the other but I'm not sure

Solution
OK, a typical network, including yours looks like this:

ISP --- (INTERNET)---> MODEM --->(LAN)--->Everything in your house.

The INTERNET is on the left side of your modem.
The right side of your modem is NOT INTERNET, call it LAN.

So your LAN can have a combination of CAT wires and WIFI, it really doesn't matter, as long as boxes are hooked up one way or the other, they should see and access each other, regardless whether u paid the Internet bill or not, because you are NOT GOING OUTSIDE, to the left of the modem.

Should = well, the person who set this up in the beginning still remembers how it was done?
But I know for a fact there was no internet signal to the server my dad confirmed it i think he said he used a relay switch to the server from it a ethernet cord to my pc his pc and my brother because my mom said the internet bill was insane so he set it so we could watch it from are rooms what we want and not inturpt the other persons movie basically drag and copy from the server watch delet from your pc but it stayed on the server cause you jist copied it didnt move it.... And blah blah blah....

But anyway what would I meed to do something like this? Is there specific requirements for a machine to do this and can I do this from say linux to windows or does it have to be windows to windows or is this someing thats even still supported or did everything move to wifi?

So your LAN can have a combination of CAT wires and WIFI, it really doesn't matter, as long as boxes are hooked up one way or the other, they should see and access each other, regardless whether u paid the Internet bill or not, because you are NOT GOING OUTSIDE, to the left of the modem.

Should = well, the person who set this up in the beginning still remembers how it was done?

Solution

I set it up in the begining but my dads is a programmer and is the one who initialized all them together i plugged everything in and setup the connection ports but he's the one who made all the devices detect eachother after it was setup and i remeber him saying they will never use internet to stream from one to the other but still can access the internet via wifi on are pc's for games home work and things loke that However streming was nolonger aloud because that's where 86% of the house data went... I just didnt know if there is a specific way to have 7 diffrent devices linked at once without internet we only had 3

I just didnt know if there is a specific way to have 7 diffrent devices linked at once without internet we only had 3
Negative. U can have an unlimited number of devices talking to each other within the house, without much effort.

By custom, typical home LANs are set up for 254 devices. This is defined when you configured the Router and you told it to (typical) use 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0. The 255.0 signals ALLOW 254 devices on this LAN.

Lots of learning to do.

Negative. U can have an unlimited number of devices talking to each other within the house, without much effort.

By custom, typical home LANs are set up for 254 devices. This is defined when you configured the Router and you told it to (typical) use 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0. The 255.0 signals ALLOW 254 devices on this LAN.

Lots of learning to do.
Yeah I dont do much on this spectrum.... I just like building pc's, i've built almost 200. I take apart and reassemble my old rig like 3 times a day for fun. But I'm now living in a house with 4 teens 3 kids and all with freaking roku sticks in there rooms. Well I'm tired of there being no internet because of them so I'm taking there roku sticks tomorrow after finishing these couple $100 builds to put in there rooms and telling them figure it out watch a movie or go outside

On the practical side, keeping everything in-house maybe a losing battle, I mean how many time can one watch Avatar over and over and over.

The industry is moving toward all-online, cloud, Internet.

After a while is a drag to maintain your in-house stuff.

Online always have the freshest stuff, as long as there is sensible parental control.

Reactions: white.a.drew
On the practical side, keeping everything in-house maybe a losing battle, I mean how many time can one watch Avatar over and over and over.

Online always have the freshest stuff, as long as there is sensible parental control.
i'm using a program much like roku, amazon fire sticks, and things of that nature on the server, it will update once a week on it's own and resresh it's list yeah i may get annoyed every nw and then clearing room for new crap but thats why there's a 6tb movie drive should hold atleast 2 weeks of shows no problem before need cleaned up and i have a 12tb on the way for but it will take like a monthand a half to get because it was on ebay, but hey 14tb, $120 can't complain on the shipping time lol. and it's brand new still in box with 3year warranty.

Last edited:

linux will be the base and i can't remeber the other os right now it's in a back-up drive, but it's basically just a roku for pc's, without internet, if you have internet you can update the listings once a week