I wanted to know what I needed to do to remote connect to a computer that is
not on my network. Can I use remote desktop or do I need other software?

If the remote PC is running XP Pro or Windows 2003 Server/Windows 2000
Server (running Terminal Services) then Remote Desktop is an option...

If the PC is running XP Home or something like Windows 2000 Pro/Windows
Me/Windows NT/Windows 9X then UltraVNC with its encryption plug-in is an
option. Download the server, client and encryption plug-in software from...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...