[SOLVED] Remote Desktop connection from a client to the host of a Shared Internet Connection

A6TH

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
My desktop PC is connected to WiFi which is shared (using the Internet Connection Sharing feature in Windows 10) over an Ethernet port to my other PC. Is there a way to connect to the first PC (the host of shared connection) from the client PC using Remote Desktop? I've tried reaching the host PC in several different ways, but the client PC can't see the host in the network at all. I've also used the Angry IP scanner program to ping all the IP addresses in the subnet, but none of them responded.

The IP configuration of the host is:
hostip.png

The IP configuration of the client is:
clientip.png

If I change the IP of the host to, for example, 192.168.2.3 and add the default gateway 192.168.2.1, I can then connect to the host using Remote Desktop, but I no longer have access to the internet on the client PC.

Solution
So the problem is your access point is still routing and still handing out IP addresses, and worse yet, they're in the same range as the host pc.

You need your access point to turn into a true access point--no dhcp server. The ethernet from the host pc should be connected to the lan, not wan of the Asus. Then your client pc should see the host.

However, depending on how internet sharing works and how rdp works in relation to it, you may not be able to rdp into the host as it will break the internet connection sharing.

This is a convoluted setup at best. What you really need to do is have your asus be a wifi client to the internet source and then have a different subnet (192.168.3.x would be fine) for your systems that will be...
Last edited:

A6TH

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2013
I forgot to mention one detail. The PCs are not directly connected over Ethernet. The host PC is sharing its WiFi over Ethernet, which goes into an Access Point. The client PC is connected to the access point over WiFi. Here are the access point settings:
accp1.png

accp2.png

Here are the screenshots from the PCs after running ipconfig /all:

Host PC (sharing WiFi over Ethernet):
hostpc.png

Client PC (connected to Acess Point):
clientpc.jpg

Both PCs are on admin accounts.

Last edited:
So the problem is your access point is still routing and still handing out IP addresses, and worse yet, they're in the same range as the host pc.

You need your access point to turn into a true access point--no dhcp server. The ethernet from the host pc should be connected to the lan, not wan of the Asus. Then your client pc should see the host.

However, depending on how internet sharing works and how rdp works in relation to it, you may not be able to rdp into the host as it will break the internet connection sharing.

This is a convoluted setup at best. What you really need to do is have your asus be a wifi client to the internet source and then have a different subnet (192.168.3.x would be fine) for your systems that will be able to connected wired or wirelessly and see each other.

Solution