ethanwpick

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
So I have recently built a business computer and I would like to be able to start the computer and run remote desktop from home. I am running windows 10 pro and I realize there is some router setup to remote desktop from another location but I need a remote start method that works from internet and can be used far away. Hoping to find a solution or if it is even possible.

Solution
This sounds like a home office situation. Wake on LAN will allow you to wake up a sleeping or powered down computer. BUT the key term is LAN. You need a device that is always on, that is part of the LAN, that you can access first. A Raspberry PI is a common solution. You use the raspberry PI to send the wake on LAN to the PC. Some routers have the capability to send a wake on LAN to a device.

kanewolf

Titan
This sounds like a home office situation. Wake on LAN will allow you to wake up a sleeping or powered down computer. BUT the key term is LAN. You need a device that is always on, that is part of the LAN, that you can access first. A Raspberry PI is a common solution. You use the raspberry PI to send the wake on LAN to the PC. Some routers have the capability to send a wake on LAN to a device.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Conversely, is it an option to just leave it on and idling?
Modern systems use little power when idle. On the order of 75 watts or less.
In typical US electricity prices, that is ~$50/year if idling 16 hours per day.

Additionally, this allows the required nightly backups and OS updates when no one is using it.

ethanwpick

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019
Conversely, is it an option to just leave it on and idling?
Modern systems use little power when idle. On the order of 75 watts or less.
In typical US electricity prices, that is ~$50/year if idling 16 hours per day.

Additionally, this allows the required nightly backups and OS updates when no one is using it.

It is an option to leave it on but I would rather leave it off when not in use. We work in a hair salon so there is a lot of dust and hair floating around that would be forced into the system. But, if it is necessary to leave it on we will.

ethanwpick

Commendable
Oct 27, 2019

Ah, I wasn't aware I would need an additional device to use wake-on-LAN. We actually only have one computer here unless you consider an ipad a method of wake on. Also, how can I check if my router has this capability? it is fairly old.