Question Remotely guiding friend through PC build

Jan 23, 2021
Hello folks,

So I wanted to surprise my friend with a new PC for his birthday. Would you say a complete PC build from scratch would be something I could guide him through remotely? I want to send him all the parts for his bday, but can't come visit to assemble it due to the pandemic. Do you think it would work out fine with enough guidance? He's a PC gamer and a little tech-savvy, but hes never built a system before, or do you think it's generally better to have a person who's previously built a system on-site?

Thanks!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Or that xD

There are some REALLY good, modern build guides. If you choose popular parts you very well could see your exact build, being built, and showing you how.

Essentially, if you do the homework so far as CPU to Mobo (chipset and socket match), proper RAM selection, and appropriate PSU there is almost nothing to go wrong if you can read and pay attention a little.

Reactions: Dj0gany
There are some REALLY good, modern build guides. If you choose popular parts you very well could see your exact build, being built, and showing you how.

Essentially, if you do the homework so far as CPU to Mobo (chipset and socket match), proper RAM selection, and appropriate PSU there is almost nothing to go wrong if you can read and pay attention a little.
i recently had a conversation with my friend about MSI's GPU's and its classic design,and how literally every video,problem,can be found on youtube about any MSI's card.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Something to point out here, as above. If the parts selection is judicious the putting together of a PC is super simple. The ISSUE comes in when you put it together and something doesn't work. It's rare so long as you are careful and properly assemble, but it does happen. More important than the IF this person can put it together would be what will this person do IF it doesn't work?

USAFRet

Titan
This depends on the person assembling.

Over the phone, I could talk any of my grandkids through it. Probably wouldn't need to...they'd just do it.
I could NOT talk my wife through a PC assembly remotely.

And unless you're doing a mockup build at the same time, with the same parts...there is going to be some little thing or procedure that you forget. Meaning go back 8 steps to correct that.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This depends on the person assembling.

Over the phone, I could talk any of my grandkids through it. Probably wouldn't need to...they'd just do it.
I could NOT talk my wife through a PC assembly remotely.

And unless you're doing a mockup build at the same time, with the same parts...there is going to be some little thing or procedure that you forget. Meaning go back 8 steps to correct that.

Lol, I can understand that....

Personally like the video that some folks like Bitwit or Pauls Hardware (for instance) have put out where they go through every single process of the assy. The key here would be to watch the video together, first. Look through the parts, make sure there is an understanding of what/why and ask questions prior to the process as well as during while on the phone with each other watching the video the second (or third) time through while doing the job.

Let's he honest. If you know you have the right parts 95% of it will only plug in one way in one place. I can think of one plug that could be put somewhere else in relation to CPU power, and making sure you have the CPU aligned right (which is also keyed and marked).

To me and my failing eyesight the hardest part for me now are the case power/reset connectors.

Jan 23, 2021
@Djoza - thank you so much for your advice and the link to the YT playlist!

I'll point out all the possible pitfalls to him (RAM slot/PCIe slot selection, etc.), and I think it should be fine along with the resources you all have suggested, thanks a lot!

@punkncat - I also think watching one of the videos you mentioned together beforehand could be very useful - we'll definitely go for that! We'll go over all the connectors beforehand too. I'll choose a good case (and fitting parts, obviously) to make sure he has ample room to build in.

Reactions: Candid_Mud
Your build.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($96.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($144.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Corsair 275R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $926.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-10 19:16 EST-0500

Almost the same price but with a 5600X, CL16 3600MHz RAM, cheaper PSU, Your case but the "airflow" one which is better than the 275R oven "non airflow" model. Less RGB but a 19% increase IPC on the CPU which will result in better fps, faster RAM which will result in a few more fps.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.63 @ B&H)
Total: $938.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-10 19:22 EST-0500

TRENDING THREADS