RemotePC Now Has a Free Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
Hmm... Remote Desktop comes free with almost every version of Windows. SplashTop is a one time payment of $5 and works with both Mac and PC, and you can play video games remotely.

Granted both require a bit of network knowledge to get it working behind NAT or a firewall.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]Hmm... Remote Desktop comes free with almost every version of Windows. SplashTop is a one time payment of $5 and works with both Mac and PC, and you can play video games remotely.Granted both require a bit of network knowledge to get it working behind NAT or a firewall.[/citation]

Well spoken. Although you would be surprised how many "IT folks" in the corporate world seem unable to grasp the concepts of how a network functions. It's all outsourced to someone else who is not kept in the loop on the company's needs.
And when they need an RDP solution, that ignorance becomes sustained income for companies like this.

delazaren

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
realvnc and teamviewer are very good too.

I have found that Windows' built in remote desktop feature sometimes doesn't work as expected as it really initiates a new login session rather than providing a copy of the remote PC's desktop. It also locks the screen of the remote PC. Also, in some cases it doesn't allow you to run some types of programs. None of these problems are exhibited with other remote desktop programs. It has its benefits and I use it quite frequently but I tend to use the other two more often, especially when I want the user of the remote PC to see what I'm doing.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
It never ceases to amaze me how many different vendors are out there preying on the ignorance most users have about RDP and RFB.

As for data centers, why shell out hundreds of dollars per month when you can use a IP-based KVM and have complete OS independence?

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Logmein is the way to go for individual pc's. Anyone with a rack of servers has much better free methods of doing this, or they enjoy wasting money with citrix or gotomypc, etc.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Freggo, no firewall configuration is required as it is for RDP methods. The services keep a link to the companies servers and when you initiate a request to connect, the active remote to server link picks it up and lets you in. With RDP, VNC, etc based methods, you initiate the connection inbound to the firewall, hence configuration is needed.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@michaelahess : Your explanation confuses me. First you say no configuration is needed for RDP, then later you say configuration is needed for RDP.

Also, can anyone recommend a good RDC for Android? All I wanna do is stream and/or copy videos/movies from home on my phone, and maybe remotely start some torrents (legal files, of course. *cough*). I read that Teamviewer might be good for remote tasks, but can it stream content? I also read about SplashTop, but I'm not sure if I can copy files on the phone or only stream them. I would try it to figure out for myself, but $4.99, while a bargain, is a bit high if it doesn't do what I want.

igimax

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Hi all
Guys!? Did you ever hear or use free RC call Teamviewer!!? It's Completely free and I use it for 2 years now! and fix too many PC's of my families or friends from all over the world! Its so fast and stable. It can work on any type of internet connections (even its so good at Dial-up!!!) and too many other new features!

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
No firewall configuration is required, as it is for RDP methods. Pretty evident I'm comparing logmein vs RDP. Sorry I missed the comma.

Content streaming should never be done over this kind of utility. Use Orb, PlayOn, that sort of thing. Also remote control from a cell phone sucks, very unusable except in a pinch, unless you like 800x600 or lower res ;)

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@michaelahess : Thanks for the tip! PlayOn seems like a nice app. I'll give it a try tonight. I installed Teamviewer last night. It works well enough on my Galaxy Nexus with a 1280x720 resolution, but it's not that practical indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.