[SOLVED] Removable Media I should have for upgrading cpu ram and motherboard?

Dave_2

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
Switching from Intel to a Ryzen 3600 with a Tomahawk Max, different brand motherboard, new ram. So I probably won't be able to boot to windows as soon as the components are set up. Please let me know if that is optimistic and not to be expected lol

Got my windows install, I just need a back up usb and I'm wondering if I need some software that can format my drives from a usb? Since I am going to be using the same ssd for a new operating system I'm not sure if it needs to be wiped first or if there will be an option to do this at post. Can I boot from the installation media and install windows where there is already an existing windows? Will it recognize and replace the files or just mess things up. I feel like so long as my stuff is backed up, I can just format the drives and do a clean install with the windows installation media and avoid any complications. Would really appreciate a second opinion.

Solution
When changing the motherboard, a clean install is strongly recommended, usually required.
From Intel to new Ryzen, will almost certainly require a clean install.

The only things you need to back up are your personal files and docs. Movies, music, etc.
Also, please please document all your username/passwords, etc.

For the install, you boot up from your USB, and you'll be given the4 option to DELETE all existing partitions on that drive.
Read here:

Also....
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

USAFRet

Titan
When changing the motherboard, a clean install is strongly recommended, usually required.
From Intel to new Ryzen, will almost certainly require a clean install.

The only things you need to back up are your personal files and docs. Movies, music, etc.
Also, please please document all your username/passwords, etc.

For the install, you boot up from your USB, and you'll be given the4 option to DELETE all existing partitions on that drive.
Read here:

Also....
For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution

TRENDING THREADS