[SOLVED] Removal of new ram caused irreversible automatic repair loop

cameron.fowlks

Commendable
Jul 17, 2018
For some context: I already have the G.Skill F4-3200C16D-8GVKB (two 4 gig 3200MHz ram sicks) which have been working fine for years. I recently got a second pair of the exact same product. They worked fine for about 2 weeks until I started getting BSODs with code "memory_management", and I used MemTest86 to determine that one of the two new sticks was having thousand of errors. (I've already RMA'd that pair.)

My current issue is that, when I removed the new ram sticks in an attempt to stop the memory_management BSODs, (to clarify, I always had the computer off when removing or inserting ram.) I started getting sent to an automatic repair failure screen. This was not fixed by reinserting the new ram sticks. No matter the configuration of ram sticks, I always get the automatic repair on boot, and attempting to continue to windows brings me right back. I have been able to get to windows once by using my hard drive as a "device" to boot from, but I've been told that this isn't safe, and it definitely isn't a long term solution.

I have already attempted resetting my CMOS. I did so successfully, but it did not fix the automatic repair failure.
I'm also aware that this question has been asked a few times on this forum already but the solutions to those threads (rather, the ones i've tried so far, being the CMOS reset) did not help me, and my circumstances are slightly different from the other threads I found.

Also, I'm aware that this is a woeful lack of information, so what other details do y'all need to figure this out?
Lastly, sorry if this is the wrong subforum for this. new here.

Solution
windows 10 isn't off when you shut down, its in a hibernate state. Problems arise when you unplug the PC or the ram as that is where part of windows is located when its "off" so it can cause problems like this.

Now one way to fix it, if you can't actually get into windows, is a clean install

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

I am not suggesting you lose everything, you can use the next steps to save info onto USB drive or another hdd
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows 10 isn't off when you shut down, its in a hibernate state. Problems arise when you unplug the PC or the ram as that is where part of windows is located when its "off" so it can cause problems like this.

Now one way to fix it, if you can't actually get into windows, is a clean install

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

I am not suggesting you lose everything, you can use the next steps to save info onto USB drive or another hdd
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

Once you copied everything you don't want to lose
boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

added bonus of clean install is if the memory management errors weren't caused by the old ram, you will get all new drivers, which might fix it as well.

Solution

cameron.fowlks

Commendable
Jul 17, 2018
I can technically get into windows, just by circumventing the automatic repair screen by using the advanced settings to boot using the hard drive that windows is installed on. Is there a way to fix it without the clean install this way?

TRENDING THREADS