"Remove disks or other media" problem on computer

Ederee

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
Tldr: stuck on black screen reading "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart"

I had a computer built and sent to me and it used A88x Motherboard from ASRock. I used a copy of windows 7 my friend gave me. Worked fine for a few months.
Then it started saying my copy of windows isnt genuine so I bought a brand new Windows 7 Home Premium to use. I put the cd in and told my BIOS ro boot from cd drive and it loaded new Windows but wouldnt let me install it. So I said forget it I'll do it later, and restarted my computer

Now I just get this message to remove disk but I have no disk or and media or anything plugged in. I think my bios is still changed but won't go back. I

I have no idea what to do to get it back to normal.

I am a noob when it comes to computers.

I need help

Sorry for rambling. Im on mobile so sorry if the layout of this is weird.

Solution
Hmm alright. So your main issue is that it is booting to "UEFI"

1.Go into your bios settings, and check through every option to change settings for the cd/dvd drive from UEFI ---> SATA

2.Or, during the setup delete the volumes/disks (note this will delete everything you have saved on it) and proceed with the installation

3. *Alternate way to format hard drive*
During the windows setup, it would give you repair options like "accessing command prompt"
Follow this guide to clean every disc if the previous steps didn't help
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en?language=en_US

Reyaz123

Admirable
Do you want to boot from the hard drive? Access the bios with the del, f2, or button listed on screen when you turn your pc on

Go to the boot priority tab (use the left and right keys to switch tabs)

Move the boot option (hard drive) to the top of the list using the - or + key

Save the settings and reboot (should be the last tab)

Ederee

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
Fast launch has been disabled the whole time.

I don't see any options related to CSM.

I tried booting with fast boost on too, and nothing changed.

Reyaz123

Admirable
Do you have any usb's plugged in or cd's in your PC the moment? (I read your post, just to make sure) If yes take them out to check if it boots

Where did you get this new "Windows Home Premium"? It sounds like it wasn't genuine causing setup problems

Ederee

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I put the cd in and dried booting from the cd drive, and it actually did some thing different from the "remove media" thing. It went to the windows installation page, but it won't let me install it.

But that may be chasing a rabbit away from the problem anyways.

When I go back, it still wont boot properly

Ederee

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I am pretty sure it is an OEM disk.

The error comes from the " What type or installation do you want?" page

The upgrade option just tells me to try it again.
The custom option asks where I want to install Windows. It gives me two options.
#1: Disk 0 Partition 1
#2: Disk 0 Unallocated space

Neither of which will work because: http://imgur.com/VhwIxMc

Reyaz123

Admirable
Hmm alright. So your main issue is that it is booting to "UEFI"

1.Go into your bios settings, and check through every option to change settings for the cd/dvd drive from UEFI ---> SATA

2.Or, during the setup delete the volumes/disks (note this will delete everything you have saved on it) and proceed with the installation

3. *Alternate way to format hard drive*
During the windows setup, it would give you repair options like "accessing command prompt"
Follow this guide to clean every disc if the previous steps didn't help
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en?language=en_US

Solution

Ederee

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
There isnt a SETA option anywhere. The only thing to change is the boot priority to UEFI: built in efi shell, AHCI P3, AHCI P2, another UEF thing, and nothing else.

Ederee

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I went to the custom installation again to do step #2, but this time it allowed me to install to the unallocated space and hit next. So it is currently installing windows. It maybe is better? I will post an update in a few minutes when it finishes.

Ederee

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
Windows installed completely, I entered my product key, and everything is working fine! I have no idea what was happening( as it wouldn't let me install or change bios settings) but now everything is fine. I appreciate all the help you have given me! You're awesome