Remove the fan from my stock heatsink?

CodeMunkey67

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
I have a socket LGA 775 Intel Celeron chip running at 3Gb inside a slim ATX case (a Dell Vostro 200 Slim to be exact). The computer operates as a simple router and typically shows practically no load. Recently, the stock heatsink and fan assembly has begun to make a lot of noise. I wonder if the setup would be better off without the fan on the heatsink, essentially making it passive.Is this a reasonable idea, or does it make more sense to purchase a heatsink that is designed to be passive, and hope that it fits my slim case?

Solution
Just buy another stock one off ebay for like $5 or buy a replacement with a fan, those slim cases don't do well with passive cooling typically.

normally i'd agree but since there's little load on the cpu.. the heatsink alone might be enough.

CodeMunkey67

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

That sounds good to me. I wasn't sure how well such a tight case would fare without an active cooler, and if I really can find a replacement for less than $10, that sounds fine by me.

CodeMunkey67

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

I can appreciate your adventurous spirit, but risking the router shutting down during peaks or when the A/C in the house fails may not be the best solution. :) Still, thanks for replying.