Question Remove Windows from computer

May 17, 2020
Hello. So I have a custom built computer that i am going to sell. It has Windows 10 OEM version installed. I built a new computer and when installing Windows om the new i put in my old product key and it works fine. However, from what I understand the key is Still stored on my old motherboard so how to I remove it so the new owner cant activate Windows with my old licence that is stored on the motherboard?

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: Krotow
May 17, 2020
What "old product key" ?
Where did that OEM license come from?
Are you selling this system with or without an install and valid license key?

The license is not stored on the motherboard.
It may be linked to the motherboard, in the Activation server farm.
You need to disassociate that license from your MS account.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...xbox-one-78ee8071-c8ab-40c4-1d89-f708582062e4
Old product key: the key I got with my computer that im going to sell. It came with a disc and licence which states "Windows 10 Home for OEM software". I entered that key when installing Windows om My new computer and it worked fine.

The OEM key came with the custom built PC. I bought the parts and a win 10 licence and a company put it together for me. That computer I Will sell now and I Will sell it without Windows.

The problem is after i installed it on My new computer i tried to install Windows again om My old and it worked even when not entering a product key, thats why I thought it was stored on motherboard or bios

May 17, 2020
The system you're selling came with a disk and license?
Sell it with that.

It activated itself when it talked to the activation server farm.

Install that OEM OS and license, and sell it with that.
That license isn't much good elsewhere.
Yeah but I installed that om My new computer and it worked fine, and I dont want to have to buy a new One, thats why Im asking how to remove it from old system

May 17, 2020
Okay, I have One old system (system 1) that came with a win 10 licence. I now bought a new system (system 2) that I installed win 10 on with the old license key and it worked fine. I am going to sell system 1 without Windows, but when I tried to install it to make sure it wasnt there it worked without entering license key which make me think it is stored on mobil/bios. I dont want the new owner of system 1 to be able to activate the old licence which is now Active om My new system 2. Sorry for My bad English

May 17, 2020
So you have 3 systems, and 2 licenses?
Or 2 systems and 2 licenses?

One of these systems will be sold, and it came with a preinstalled license?
Okay, I have One old system (system 1) that came with a win 10 licence. I now bought a new system (system 2) that I installed win 10 on with the old license key and it worked fine. I am going to sell system 1 without Windows, but when I tried to install it to make sure it wasnt there it worked without entering license key which make me think it is stored on mobil/bios. I dont want the new owner of system 1 to be able to activate the old licence which is now Active om My new system 2. Sorry for My bad English

USAFRet

Titan
So...
2 systems and 1 license?

You need to disassociate that system to sell from your MS account.

But given that the OEM license is used on your current system....it may activate itself anyway. And render the license on the system you wish to keep invalid.
Maybe.

May 17, 2020
So...
2 systems and 1 license?

You need to disassociate that system to sell from your MS account.
Thats correct, 2 system 1 license

I did remove the system from My account but it does not work. It Still activate Windows automatically when I try to install it on the old system, so it seems to get that licence from the bios because I dont enter any key?

USAFRet

Titan
Thats correct, 2 system 1 license

I did remove the system from My account but it does not work. It Still activate Windows automatically when I try to install it on the old system, so it seems to get that licence from the bios because I dont enter any key?
Yes, that happens.

Solution...
Use some of the proceeds from the sale to purchase a new valid license for the system you wish to keep.
Give the OEM license to the buyer.

Reactions: Martlin

TRENDING THREADS