Question Removed CMOS battery, now not booting?

videogamingtown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I've had some problems with the pc recently, last week it began giving me error messages on boot saying "USB Device over current, system will shutdown in 15 seconds", upon examining the motherboard i saw there was a small collection of droplets which i quickly cleaned and used isopropyl alcohol on the motherboard. I suspect these droplets were from vaping, the intake fans on the pc were clearly importing the vapour and collecting on the fans.

After cleaning, I let it dry for a few hours and tried again but still the same message appeared. After a few attempts to decided to take out the CMOS battery to give everything a reset (just incase) , i put it back in and nothing boots. There is power going to the mother board, i know because the RGB lighting is on... It is a ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING motherboard.

I've also tried replacing the CMOS battery but it still wont boot despite the RGB lighting showing there is power going to Mobo.

Does anyone have an idea what else i can do?

RealBeast

Titan
Did you try resetting the CMOS jumper at the bottom of the board (opposite end from CPU and memory end 1.1.6 on page 1-9 of your manual)? When you had the battery out was the PSU also unplugged or turned off?

I will assume that you inserted the battery shiny side with lettering CR2032 up. ;)

videogamingtown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Did you try resetting the CMOS jumper at the bottom of the board (opposite end from CPU and memory end 1.1.6 on page 1-9 of your manual)? When you had the battery out was the PSU also unplugged or turned off?

I will assume that you inserted the battery shiny side with lettering CR2032 up. ;)

I've just tried that but it's still the same, no sign of booting. I unplugged the power cable, removed CMOS battery and made contact with pin 1 on CLRTC with a screwdriver for 10 seconds... put the CMOS battery back in and plugged the power cable back in and still not attempting to boot. Any other idea what might have gone wrong? I'm 99.9% sure i had the power plugged out when removing the CMOS battery before.

RealBeast

Titan
Yeah i had already removed all the front panel connectors aside from the reset and power switch, still nothing , i'm going crazy at this point.
If its still under warranty you might RMA it, I found ASUS fairly responsive a few months back when I sent a board in for exchange. You do have to wait a few days for them to send you a UPS sticker though -- I was impatient and sent the board on my dime. Next day I got an email with instructions to print out a free shipping label.

videogamingtown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
If its still under warranty you might RMA it, I found ASUS fairly responsive a few months back when I sent a board in for exchange. You do have to wait a few days for them to send you a UPS sticker though -- I was impatient and sent the board on my dime. Next day I got an email with instructions to print out a free shipping label.

Luckily it still is, i only got it back in September but i don't know how they'd respond to vapour damage, it seems like it's just the motherboard..i believe the cpu and ram are ok. I've ordered a new board anyway but i'll be upset having spent quite a bit on that one if i can't get it fixed.

Last edited:

videogamingtown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
It's a small room and fairly poorly ventilated apart from a window which cant be left open at all times... I don't even vape directly in front of it either but it still finds a way to suck it all in. I'm gonna have to rethink a lot of stuff after this... lol...FYI i also have that same tank.

Last edited:

videogamingtown

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
How humid is you climate where your at
And temps outside and in you room ?
How is the ventilation in your system?

it's Ireland so not very humid but it has been 27 degrees (Celsius) the past week so it's different lately. In the room i don't know what temp exactly. I have a Coolermaster Mastercase HP500 Mesh with the default front fans and default fan at the back of the case beside the IO part of the motherboard. This fan at the back of the case had the most vapour residue on it. You could actually see the wetness. The front fans had some residue but not as much as the rear. With a bit of residue on my default AMD Wraith cpu cooler, which i imagine is what caused the spill to happen.

Wow
Ya I would say you will have to do something different with that much moisture or the rma'd mobo will have the same issuse.
Maybe a fan in the window to help exhausting the vape before getting to the pc.
My case is a thermltake f31 suppressor with 1x120mm bottom, 1x120mm front bottom 1x140mm front top, 1x140mm as intakes
1x140mm rear exhaust and a corsair h110i
With noctua 2x140mm ippc 3000rpm fans top as exhaust.

My wifes phanteks entho has 200mm front intake,
Corsair h100i v2 with 2x120mm noctua ippc 3000rpm fans top as exhaust
1x 140mm rear.
But have never had a issuse anything like what you are going thur.