Removed CMOS battery, stuck in boot loop

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
From what I know, there is supposed to be a jumper on the board, but it doesn't look like I have one, I just have two naked prongs that say CMOS RESET. Should there be a sleeve on these for me to not be stuck in a loop with this specific board?
I know normally there is a sleeve, but this one doesn't have one.
Also, from my experience, there are usually 3 pins for a jumper on a board, not 2.

I don't have one, what can I do.

I cleared the CMOS by removing the battery because the BIOS wouldn't let me disable VT-d which I need to do in order to get certain things to work in my OS.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU is i5-4670K
BIOS was latest version from website.

usualy there are 3 pins, that 3rd pin does nothing at all, somebody wanted to save manufacturing cost to no include that dummy pin + jumper xD
anyway u just need to short those 2 pins, pc has to be turned off and unplugged from wall outlet or psu switch turned to off, short it for few seconds

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

that did nothing. It still boot loops and has the constant post code 15 on the readout.

from what I gathered in some other post around the net, I need to have those pins shorting each other when I turn on the PC right?
Since I removed the battery and all.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

not saying I was gonna do it.
Either way, doing the short the way you said didn't do anything.

you didn't seem to feel like responding to that comment so I'm just going to assume you have no further knowledge and advice on the matter.
Thanks for trying.

I'm just going to remove the battery again and let it sit for 10 minutes.

If that doesn't work then I guess this system is trashed and it went from a normally working system to a pile of junk all because I wanted to turn off VT-d.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

here's a quick video for you.

Ignore the iBuyPower logo. It's just the case. I got it super cheap on Craigslist and it was better than the garbage case I had before hand for this rig.

After noticing that it boot loops on both BIOS, I'm thinking the BIOS is corrupt and there's not a proper backup BIOS for it to default to.

What are your thoughts?

--VIDEO LINK REDACTED--

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador

good news. I removed the second stick, but got the same problem.
But then I swapped it out with the first stick (still keeping it single stick) and now it boots.

The bad news for me is that means I'm now down to 4GB single stick of RAM on this system.
I used to have 4 sticks for 16GB on a different motherboard, but two of them failed, then eventually the motherboard RAM slots failed so I replaced it with this board, and now another stick has failed.

Sucks, I have to buy new RAM. But thankfully not right away since this is a side build to my main one that used to be my main PC back in the day and now I just use it as a backup system that I also run gaming benchmarks on because of it's older CPU and 1050Ti.

Thanks for that, I would've eventually tried the RAM but that would've taken me a while to come to the conclusion of and you saved me the headache of waiting to figure that out since the initial problem didn't make it seem like it was RAM, especially since it was working fine until I powered it down and drained the power to pull out the battery for CMOS.