Question Removed optane, installed m.2 ssd, but now hdd is "invisible?"

Jun 17, 2019
hey guys!
Got an ebay steal on a lenovo all in one pc that had optane memory.
I had best buy remove the optane and install an ssd, then I took it home, installed windows on the SSD, and disabled the optane memory in bios.
Computer runs but will not show the old hard drive- I left the 1TB HDD in as storage space...
From the boot menu it is recognized, and from Lenovo's hardware testing tool it is recognized, but windows is not seeing it as storage/ not letting me touch it... It did for half of one day and since has been invisible :/

Any ideas how to make it usable?? Thanks in advance...

Jun 17, 2019
I don't see it in disk management!
It really has me baffled... It is powered up, spinning, visible to certain things, but unuseable...
I thought I had read somewhere that drives used with optane have to be somehow reformatted, but now I can't find that and am not a cpu genius enough to figure it out alone :p

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
So, Best Buy should have disabled Optane Memory before removing it within the computer's Optane Memory settings. I'd try going into the Optane settings and attempting to disable it if it allows you to do so without the module installed, or better yet, use the Optane Memory drive and physically reinstall it in your computer to have access to "de-couple" Optane memory from your hard drive. They should have returned the $50 part to you!

Jun 17, 2019
Okay...
  1. Optane settings- is that a bios thing or just search it in windows?
  2. If I can’t reach was through that, can I reinstall Optane with a usb connection to turn the setting off? This all in one is a pain in the butt to open, that’s why I paid Best Buy to do it...
Thanks again!
If this doesn’t work, is there some way to access and wipe out the drive to make it usable? Nothing important is stored on it

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS