Removing and Installing Graphics card.

ReconAvenger

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
So, I have the EVGA GTX 980 ACX 2.0 and for some odd reason they decided not to include a backplate on it. I decided to order one for piece of mind. I'm wondering if there is a specific way to remove the GPU and reinstalling it into the motherboard and if there are any ramifications that occur when doing so. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Solution
You mean removing the video card?

Just power off the machine, unplug the monitor cabling from the back of the card, then unscrew the end bracket that holds the card to the rear of the case. Then unplug it's power plug(s), then check to see if the PCI slot it's in has a "lock" tab on the end of the slot on the end away from the back of the case, if so, slide/pop it to unlocked position. Then gently start pulling the card out while rocking it a small amount, if needed, until it comes free of the slot. Install the back plate and reverse the steps you followed to remove it, and power the machine back on. There are no ramifications as long as you only add and remove the card with the power off.

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
You mean removing the video card?

Just power off the machine, unplug the monitor cabling from the back of the card, then unscrew the end bracket that holds the card to the rear of the case. Then unplug it's power plug(s), then check to see if the PCI slot it's in has a "lock" tab on the end of the slot on the end away from the back of the case, if so, slide/pop it to unlocked position. Then gently start pulling the card out while rocking it a small amount, if needed, until it comes free of the slot. Install the back plate and reverse the steps you followed to remove it, and power the machine back on. There are no ramifications as long as you only add and remove the card with the power off.

Solution