[SOLVED] Removing Malware Registry Keys safely?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mads Haugaard

Honorable
Dec 17, 2014
Hi everyone. I've recently been unlucky with a program and have gotten some malware on my pc, which I assume causes a windows booting issue I've been having.

Currently, Malwarebytes has detected 11 Trojans in Registry Keys, and last time (many years ago) when I was removing registry key viruses, it bricked my OS. How do I safely go about removing the malware (with malwarebytes) without risking bricking my system?

For context:
The program that I installed was for a controller Emulator PS4 to XBox, and right after it asked me to restart, so I did. And then the <Mod Edit>-show began. Issues booting up past bios, (blinking " - " at top left corner of the monitor) and odd crashes etc. Pretty much can't load windows 9/10.:rolleyes: I tried to use System restore point, a day prior to when it was installed, and it failed, giving an unspecified error. ( Tried multiple times and different restore points)

Am I overthinking it, and should I just backup my stuff and let it remove it and take my chances or are they better ways to help insure it wont brick my OS? Sorry if this seems silly, but I'm generally curious if there's a proper way.

Last edited:

Stephanie_Sy

Prominent
Mar 1, 2021
There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance.

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance.
And every single one of them are garbage. The users of such 'tools' very quickly appear here or elsewhere all asking the same thing, "I just ran <fill in the blank> and now my system won't (run, boot, etc.). What's wrong and how do I fix it?"

Reactions: Ralston18
Status
Not open for further replies.