[SOLVED] Removing power source from laptop, what does this button do?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Removing power source from laptop - Does holding the power reset pin hole do the same thing as pressing the power button to drain leftover power?

Reset button referenced from here: an515-53_(Freed_CFS)UM(date)_EN.book (acer.com)

People say you have to hold the reset button for about 10 seconds, what if you just press the reset button a few times? What exactly does this reset pin button do?

Would it do the same thing as pressing the power button to release any residual power?

I'd prefer not to try opening the laptop upside down to press the power button, so I'd like to know if I should press the reset button or hold it to release any residual power ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The button at the bottom of the laptop is for units that have the battery internally mounted, meaning you need to disassemble the entire laptop to disconnect the battery. That button disconnects the battery from the circuit. For people who don't have to disassemble the laptop and remove the battery from the back with ease, they are advised to press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, not pressing in intervals.

Electronics can and will have a residual charge on them, so if you did press the button in intervals, you're not really getting rid of the charge prior.

Does holding the power reset pin hole do the same thing as pressing the power button to drain leftover power?
Yes

Lutfij

Titan
The button at the bottom of the laptop is for units that have the battery internally mounted, meaning you need to disassemble the entire laptop to disconnect the battery. That button disconnects the battery from the circuit. For people who don't have to disassemble the laptop and remove the battery from the back with ease, they are advised to press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, not pressing in intervals.

Electronics can and will have a residual charge on them, so if you did press the button in intervals, you're not really getting rid of the charge prior.

Does holding the power reset pin hole do the same thing as pressing the power button to drain leftover power?
Yes

Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021

Yes
Thank you, and yes. I do have to disassemble my laptop to disconnect the battery.

The last thing I'm wondering is how come pressing the reset button does nothing and you have to hold it for anything to work. Since the pinhole is so small I don't see how someone can "accidently" reset it.