[SOLVED] Rename 3d objects folder to games ?

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
I miss not having a games folder and finding random game installs or saves in different folders... i would like to have all game related stuff under one folder as not to get confused with my Music recording saves etc...

Can i rename the 3d objects folder and make this my new games folder ?

Solution
renaming the 3D Objects folder would only have a negative effect if you use it for any applications that store data there.
you can use any available folder, or create a new one and use it. when installing games, just choose wherever you want.
if installing through Steam, Epic, Rockstar, etc: you may need to first create base game directories on each drive/partition that you wish to use.

the best option has always been to have a separate drive or at least a separate partition used only for game installations.
this way their install directories can be salvaged even when an OS failure or corruption occurs, your game installations are always easier to find, and they do not add confusing directories/files to your OS drive.
having them on a...
renaming the 3D Objects folder would only have a negative effect if you use it for any applications that store data there.
you can use any available folder, or create a new one and use it. when installing games, just choose wherever you want.
if installing through Steam, Epic, Rockstar, etc: you may need to first create base game directories on each drive/partition that you wish to use.

the best option has always been to have a separate drive or at least a separate partition used only for game installations.
this way their install directories can be salvaged even when an OS failure or corruption occurs, your game installations are always easier to find, and they do not add confusing directories/files to your OS drive.
having them on a different disk is an even better option. when Windows is accessing system files at the same time your game is accessing game files, your games drive read/write speed will not be effected because the data is on separate drives.
your audio recordings should also be stored the same way for the same reasons.

Reactions: onemoretimex
Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I miss not having a games folder and finding random game installs or saves in different folders... i would like to have all game related stuff under one folder as not to get confused with my Music recording saves etc...

Can i rename the 3d objects folder and make this my new games folder ?
Don't rename an existing, create a new location.

For Steam games:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
-------------------
Other platforms have a similar function.

Reactions: onemoretimex

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
yeah that would be fine also and can i have this new folder appear under my pc like video,documents,music,download,3d objects... for easy finding infact i'd be even more happy if i could make this folder appear in my start menu folders aswell similar to the above.

USAFRet

Titan
yeah that would be fine also and can i have this new folder appear under my pc like video,documents,music,download,3d objects... for easy finding infact i'd be even more happy if i could make this folder appear in my start menu folders aswell similar to the above.
You can add it to Quick Access or Start.

Right click on the folder, and you should see those options in the context menu.

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
When i say start is that the actual folders that show when the start menu is clicked like settings, personal folder, video, network etc... that can be selected in folders that show in start settings ?

with the new Windows 10 Start Screen you can add/pin shortcuts like this to the screen by right-click.
with earlier Start Menus you can just drag a folder to parts of the Start Menu and it will "pin" itself there as a shortcut.

in Windows 10 you can also drag folders to your File Explorer taskbar icon and add them. when right-clicking the icon an editable folder list will appear.