Rendering twice with the same codec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junk87

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
As an example lets say i take a bunch of 30 second clips and render them to save disk space. After i have enough of these i would compile them into one video and render them with the same process.

Would this cause any loss of quality using the exact same rendering process as i did when i compressed them?

Junk87

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Nah its just for future reference for game recording. I dont like having a bunch of massive uncompressed files around waiting until i get all the footage i need.

You can always compress them with something like Motion JPEG, which is basically a series of individual JPEG images wrapped up into a single file. It will provide some modest compression while preserving most of the video quality.

Also, Motion JPEG allows you to edit (split and combine segments) on ANY frame. Most codecs work by transmitting a reference frame (often a JPEG image) followed by a series of difference frames. You can only edit on the reference frames without getting bad artifacts at the transition, and the higher the compression the fewer and farther apart they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS