Repair install of Windows XP SP-2

I recently performed a repair install of my Windows XP Pro SP-2
installation. I used my original Windows XP Pro SP-1 disk, full version.
When complete I then proceeded to reinstall the SP-2 update since it was now
back to SP-1. After two was thirds was completed a message displayed
stating Installation Failed. There were no other messages. It then
returned the system back to SP-1.

I did not remove SP-2 from the add/remove programs prior to attempting the
reinstall of SP-2 if that may matter.

Any ideas?

Ray

In order to perform a "Repair Install" on a computer with
SP2 installed, you'll have to first uninstall SP2 if the original
Windows XP does not include SP2. The easy alternative is
to create a new Windows XP CD with SP2 integrated
(slipstreamed), then proceed with a "Repair Install".

AutoStreamer 1.0.33
http://www.wbeta.com/comments.php?shownews=1063&catid=2

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Raymond Nichols" wrote:

| I recently performed a repair install of my Windows XP Pro SP-2
| installation. I used my original Windows XP Pro SP-1 disk, full version.
| When complete I then proceeded to reinstall the SP-2 update since it was now
| back to SP-1. After two was thirds was completed a message displayed
| stating Installation Failed. There were no other messages. It then
| returned the system back to SP-1.
|
| I did not remove SP-2 from the add/remove programs prior to attempting the
| reinstall of SP-2 if that may matter.
|
| Any ideas?
|
| Ray

You do not " have" to uninstall SP2 to do a repair install with a SP1 cd
over an existing SP2 installation.
When I recently upgraded to a new 64 bit motherboard/processor, I
immediately booted from my XP Pro SP1 cd, and did a repair install of my XP
Pro SP2 installation.

The only issue I had, was on activation - I was immediately locked out of XP
upon the repair install, and could only boot into safe mode. Had to call the
activation number to get new numbers to enter, in order to get it activated.

The repair went well otherwise, and afterwards I installed the SP2 udpate,
along with all updates since SP2.
System is running great.

I had created a slipstreamed SP2 cd a few months ago, but evidently it was
corrupted as my system did not recognize it as a bootable cd. So I reverted
to booting from my XP Pro SP1 cd, and proceeded with the repair install.

It should work fine, just have to be sure and download and install SP2 when
done. Granted, creating a slip streamed cd would be ideal...

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."