Question Repair SSD with Windows 10 recovery on USB

Jun 8, 2024
Hi. I’m trying to repair my Samsung 860 500gb SSD disk with the Windows 10 operating system using a USB drive with the recovery software but got an error after several hours. I tried using the Startup Repair option but got this error message below. Should I try the other options? Command Prompt, Uninstall Updates, UEFI Firmware settings, System Restore, or System Image Recovery? The Startup Repair didn’t work and Windows still won’t load. Is it possible the SSD drive failed or am I not selecting the correct repair option? I’m starting to think my SSD drive is bad or possibly something is wrong with my mobo. Update: I just found a Windows 10 Recovery Repair disc I made years ago on 12/26/17. Guessing this version isn’t up to date but hoping it will still work if I try to repair the disk. Please help. Thanks!

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click “next.”
3. Click “Repair your computer.”

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: The boot configuration data file doesn’t contain valid information for an operating system.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2024
What do you mean by "repair"? What's broken about the SSD?
Windows 10 operating system on the disk just won’t load or repair itself to load when using software installed on a usb drive. My system also freezes a lot when trying to boot from the SSD drive or the usb repair drive. I can’t figure out what’s causing the issue whether it be the SSD drive itself or possibly the mobo.

Windows 10 operating system on the disk just won’t load or repair itself to load when using software installed on a usb drive. My system also freezes a lot when trying to boot from the SSD drive or the usb repair drive. I can’t figure out what’s causing the issue whether it be the SSD drive itself or possibly the mobo.
Since this is a SATA drive, you can do the following to cut out potential problems:
  • Change the data cable
  • Change which port the SSD is plugged into
  • Put the SSD in a known working computer and see if it's working fine. At the very least, pull the SMART data from it using CrystalDiskInfo
However chances are the SSD is on its way out and there's nothing you can do to fix it. At best, you should see if you can grab the data from it on another computer.

Jun 8, 2024
Since this is a SATA drive, you can do the following to cut out potential problems:
  • Change the data cable
  • Put the SSD in a known working computer and see if it's working fine. At the very least, pull the SMART data from it using CrystalDiskInfo
However chances are the SSD is on its way out and there's nothing you can do to fix it. At best, you should see if you can grab the data from it on another computer.
Thanks for the info. I may have contributed to the disk going out by letting it get full too many times. It’s only 500gb so filling it up happened a lot. I’ll dl Crystaldiakinfo on another PC and try to salvage the files I want to keep and will probably start fresh with Windows 11 on a larger 2tb NVMe drive. Hopefully that gets my PC back up and running.

Jun 8, 2024
  • Change the data cable
Will CrystalDiskInfo allow me to transfer the files over to an external storage drive?

Jun 8, 2024
No.
CrystalDiskInfo will provide you with diagnostic info about your SSD.
It doesn't do anything else.
Do you know how I could go about transferring files off the disk onto an external drive? If the disk even connects and is recognized by another PC.

Should I try the other options? Command Prompt, Uninstall Updates, UEFI Firmware settings, System Restore, or System Image Recovery?

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: The boot configuration data file doesn’t contain valid information for an operating system.
Use Command Prompt option.
Run following commands and show screenshot. Probably all wouldn't fit into single screenshot.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
detail disk
If BCD got corrupted, you can fix it with bcdboot command.
bcdboot C:\windows /s H:
C: - windows OS partition, H: - bootloader partition.
In windows recovery environment drive letters can and will be different.

Jun 8, 2024
Connect the drive to another working pc and copy data to another drive.
Do you not know, how to copy files from one drive to another?
Yes sorry. Was probably a dumb question. Think I’m just worried atm that the drive won’t work on another PC and I won’t be able to transfer any of my files over. Was also wondering if there’s a good program to use to transfer files similar to CrystalDiskInfo to check the health and status of the drive. Just worried I’ll mess something up in the process and lose the files on this drive. If the drive is corrupted or failing I’m assuming transferring files might be more complicated.