Repairing Power button cable flap lock with tape

DreaDe

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Hi,
I was trying to replace the hinges of HP Envy 1010 and the power cable flap lock broke :( need help to connect the power button cable. I tried using normal electrical tape. but it did not hold. For those who may not have an idea of the innards of HP's Envy, the power cable is connected to the laptop right next to the hinge and is around the edge of the motherboard with the display cable connector right next... hardly any place to manouvre around.

I did not want to use glue because if anything happens and I have to remove the motherboard again... I'll be stuck. The electrical tape is not strong enough to hold the cable, what should I use instead, aluminium tape, thermal tape or perhaps a better quality electrical (though it has been vetoed in a lot of posts)

Please guide
regards
Alok

Solution
Ohhh I get what your saying now. Side note, I have a deep burning hate for those cables.

What you could do is use the electrical tape as more of a shielding then put some duct tape over the electrical tape/ribbon cable to secure it down. It will be fine as long as you don't hit any of the traces. (even if you did I highly doubt it would short anything)

This might also be worth a shot, I drew you a picture, this is the limits of my paint skills. Basically grab some string, the green line should be its own piece, same with the red. Tie the red to the green. Have the green just before the curve of the cable. Might work, if it doesn't you lose out on some string.

X85gzZM.jpg

DreaDe

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Thanks for the reply mouse24,
but it is already soldered on one side to the board and if I solder the other side too :( that would mean I cannot remove the motherboard after that. and if I need access to the hinges, I have to remove the motherboard.

That is the reason even glue is out

I'll try to photograph and send an image of the problem after a little while.

DreaDe

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Thanks mouse24 did so...

http://i.imgur.com/Dx6k5n9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9JS5Iw7.jpg

In the photo, I have inserted the flap lock back into place on the pins, but it is not tight enough to get the cable in contact with the surface below. I tried inserting a piece of plastic between the pins and the cable to press the cable (without locking flap) and putting 2 layers of tape behind the cable, both these methods seemed to be tight enough but do not help to make proper contact.

The only thing which gave slight hope was when I put a tape on the cable put it into place and closing the faulty flap pulled the tape over it. But, the electrical tape does not have enough strength in this limited space and slips off. :(

regards
Alok

Ohhh I get what your saying now. Side note, I have a deep burning hate for those cables.

What you could do is use the electrical tape as more of a shielding then put some duct tape over the electrical tape/ribbon cable to secure it down. It will be fine as long as you don't hit any of the traces. (even if you did I highly doubt it would short anything)

This might also be worth a shot, I drew you a picture, this is the limits of my paint skills. Basically grab some string, the green line should be its own piece, same with the red. Tie the red to the green. Have the green just before the curve of the cable. Might work, if it doesn't you lose out on some string.

X85gzZM.jpg

Solution

DreaDe

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Thanks... Going out to buy some duct tape, string I have :) will update later and let you know.

HP has got to be one of the worst laptop manufacturer! What with soldered shoddy cables and hinges stuck on thinnest plastic to hold the screen! :(

DreaDe

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

THANKS mouse24,
Though the string solution did not work, the duct tape trick did the work. I was not using proper tape earlier and this seems to have done the trick and working quite well. I hope all the people searching for broken flap lock solutions find this thread and may benefit from it.
cheers