[SOLVED] Repeated Page Fault In Non Paged Area On Startup

Jul 30, 2021
Hi there,

New here, so hello and thank you to everyone reading/helping.

I recently purchased a custom made desktop, probably a beast back in 2012/2013, low/medium by todays standards I am guessing. It's great and I love it, fit my budget and does what I need to do (work, browsing, light/medium games, music editing) so I though I would upgrade the i5-2500 cpu for an i7 3770 cpu and try to get the most out of the system before it bites the dust. I swapped the CPU myself, it "successfully installed" and allowed me to boot into BIOS. I "optimized default settings", smooth sailing.
Recently I've been having issues with the windows BSOD on boot up. It says "Page Fault In Non Paged Area". The first time it happened, it said it's collecting data and will auto restart once it's done. I leave and come back around 20 minutes later and it's still there saying %100 complete so I figure that can't be good. I shut it off by holding the power on button, turned it back on and didn't see it. I thought it was a one off event. However, now every time I'm restarting or turning my computer on from being off, that happens. A lot. I literally sit here for like 5 minutes battling with it, constantly restarting until I get "lucky" and windows loads. The odd part is, once I'm actually in windows using my pc it's perfectly fine. I can have it on for days, do everything I normally do and no errors or freezes or crashes, ect. I don't see any missing files or programs or anything like that.
So I'm reaching out here for some help. I am not a computer guy, I have a basic level of understanding.

Here are some things I have done according to some google searches:
-loaded optimized defaults in bios and removed any overclocks
-scanned with microsoft antivirus, I also downloaded a free one called "avast", did a scan with that, then removed the program- no reports
-deleted some unnecessary programs
-ran disk file checker, windows file checker- no reports of errors.
-"trimmed" the SSD
-ran disk cleanup

Here are the computer specs using the CPU-Z software:
CPU- Intel core i7 3770
Motherboard- Asus p8h67-m pro (has the most recent BIOS available according to ASUS website)
RAM- 16GB DDR3 @ 1333mhz by Kingston
GPU- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960 4GB DDR5
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB.
Currently using Windows 10 Pro

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info I'd have to be "guided" on how to get it for you but I'd be happy to share.
Thanks again,
Jp

Solution
Done. No difference. I think you may be on to something with the gpu then...3 normal restarts by going straight in to the motherboard has me thinking that. It runs normal as far as I know, I mainly use the pc for work/browsing but I also do play games on it and haven't noticed any issues.
Go to device manager and find the gpu.
Uninstall the driver.
Reboot.
See if it makes a diff.
Hi there,

New here, so hello and thank you to everyone reading/helping.

I recently purchased a custom made desktop, probably a beast back in 2012/2013, low/medium by todays standards I am guessing. It's great and I love it, fit my budget and does what I need to do (work, browsing, light/medium games, music editing) so I though I would upgrade the i5-2500 cpu for an i7 3770 cpu and try to get the most out of the system before it bites the dust. I swapped the CPU myself, it "successfully installed" and allowed me to boot into BIOS. I "optimized default settings", smooth sailing.
Recently I've been having issues with the windows BSOD on boot up. It says "Page Fault In Non Paged Area". The first time it happened, it said it's collecting data and will auto restart once it's done. I leave and come back around 20 minutes later and it's still there saying %100 complete so I figure that can't be good. I shut it off by holding the power on button, turned it back on and didn't see it. I thought it was a one off event. However, now every time I'm restarting or turning my computer on from being off, that happens. A lot. I literally sit here for like 5 minutes battling with it, constantly restarting until I get "lucky" and windows loads. The odd part is, once I'm actually in windows using my pc it's perfectly fine. I can have it on for days, do everything I normally do and no errors or freezes or crashes, ect. I don't see any missing files or programs or anything like that.
So I'm reaching out here for some help. I am not a computer guy, I have a basic level of understanding.

Here are some things I have done according to some google searches:
-loaded optimized defaults in bios and removed any overclocks
-scanned with microsoft antivirus, I also downloaded a free one called "avast", did a scan with that, then removed the program- no reports
-deleted some unnecessary programs
-ran disk file checker, windows file checker- no reports of errors.
-"trimmed" the SSD
-ran disk cleanup

Here are the computer specs using the CPU-Z software:
CPU- Intel core i7 3770
Motherboard- Asus p8h67-m pro (has the most recent BIOS available according to ASUS website)
RAM- 16GB DDR3 @ 1333mhz by Kingston
GPU- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 960 4GB DDR5
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB.
Currently using Windows 10 Pro

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info I'd have to be "guided" on how to get it for you but I'd be happy to share.
Thanks again,
Jp
WAG.....open task manager/startup and untic everything.
See if it makes a diff.

Jul 30, 2021
That looks good.
Since you were inside the machine to change the cpu reseat all plugs.
If you have a modular psu reseat the cables at the psu also.

If no help remove the gpu and connect the monitor to the mobo.
Hey so I unplugged the gpu and ram and reinserted them , dusted the pc with some air spray and made sure all the connections were in tact everywhere. I booted it up in the GPU first and no blue screen, loaded windows super fast. I did not try directly in to the motherboard. Thanks for the help, I will keep you updated on my next restart!

Jul 30, 2021
Hey so I unplugged the gpu and ram and reinserted them , dusted the pc with some air spray and made sure all the connections were in tact everywhere. I booted it up in the GPU first and no blue screen, loaded windows super fast. I did not try directly in to the motherboard. Thanks for the help, I will keep you updated on my next restart!
So I'm 2/2! I Thanks very much for the help, if it happens again I'll post again.

Jul 30, 2021
That looks good.
Since you were inside the machine to change the cpu reseat all plugs.
If you have a modular psu reseat the cables at the psu also.

If no help remove the gpu and connect the monitor to the mobo.
Hey Bob, back again and so is the stupid problem. Any other suggestions? What happens is the windows logo shows up and the circling dots do their thing for a few seconds, then it wants to switch to another "screen" or load something and that's where it crashes every single time. Does that help? I can send a video to show you if you'd like.

Hey Bob, back again and so is the stupid problem. Any other suggestions? What happens is the windows logo shows up and the circling dots do their thing for a few seconds, then it wants to switch to another "screen" or load something and that's where it crashes every single time. Does that help? I can send a video to show you if you'd like.
Just to make the pot smaller remove the gpu and connect to the mobo.

Jul 30, 2021
Just to make the pot smaller remove the gpu and connect to the mobo.
Hey thanks for getting back. So I removed my gpu and went straight motherboard and worked flawlessly. I restarted 3 times for good measure, no problems. However I think something has gone wrong. I plugged my gpu back and tried to boot from there and my screen says to please plug pci-e power to the graphics card. It’s plugged in and the fans spin on the card. Did something bad just happen?

Hey thanks for getting back. So I removed my gpu and went straight motherboard and worked flawlessly. I restarted 3 times for good measure, no problems. However I think something has gone wrong. I plugged my gpu back and tried to boot from there and my screen says to please plug pci-e power to the graphics card. It’s plugged in and the fans spin on the card. Did something bad just happen?
Assuming you had all power removed from the pc when removing/installing the gpu check that some crud did not fall into the gpu slot.

Jul 30, 2021
Assuming you had all power removed from the pc when removing/installing the gpu check that some crud did not fall into the gpu slot.
Thanks, I realized I'm an idiot. I went detective mode and googled possible issues. What I did was plug in the big stick of 6 pins but a little piece of 2 wasn't in. It was nestled sneakily in a corner and I didn't know it belonged in the card, wasn't paying much attention when I took it out I guess. Anyways on my first bootup it went through proper. I restarted again to test and same thing, page fault in non paged area. I can send you a video to show you exactly how/when it happens since it does it at the same time and same way if it will help. It's not that big of an issue since it only happens on restarts and the pc runs fine otherwise but it really is one of those annoying little things that gets under your skin after a while. To put it in to perspective, I had to reboot 4 times this time. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less, sometimes I get lucky on the first go. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help so far.

Thanks, I realized I'm an idiot. I went detective mode and googled possible issues. What I did was plug in the big stick of 6 pins but a little piece of 2 wasn't in. It was nestled sneakily in a corner and I didn't know it belonged in the card, wasn't paying much attention when I took it out I guess. Anyways on my first bootup it went through proper. I restarted again to test and same thing, page fault in non paged area. I can send you a video to show you exactly how/when it happens since it does it at the same time and same way if it will help. It's not that big of an issue since it only happens on restarts and the pc runs fine otherwise but it really is one of those annoying little things that gets under your skin after a while. To put it in to perspective, I had to reboot 4 times this time. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less, sometimes I get lucky on the first go. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help so far.
If I understand correct the error only happens if you use the gpu.
Just to get it out of the mix replace the bios battery.

Remove power from the pc.
Remove the bios battery.
Go to the store and buy a new battery.
When you come back press and hold the power button for 20 secs.
Install the new bat.

Jul 30, 2021
If I understand correct the error only happens if you use the gpu.
Just to get it out of the mix replace the bios battery.

Remove power from the pc.
Remove the bios battery.
Go to the store and buy a new battery.
When you come back press and hold the power button for 20 secs.
Install the new bat.
Done. No difference. I think you may be on to something with the gpu then...3 normal restarts by going straight in to the motherboard has me thinking that. It runs normal as far as I know, I mainly use the pc for work/browsing but I also do play games on it and haven't noticed any issues.

Go to device manager and find the gpu.
Uninstall the driver.
Reboot.
See if it makes a diff.

Solution
Okay. On the restart after the uninstall it happened again. Think it's just something I'll have to live with? Is there any other available information on what the error specifically is or means?
Go to device manager and note the driver you are using.
Now go here https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
Fill in the blanks and click on search.
If it's something newer than what you have install it and test.

I have something called geforce experience which keeps my card up to date and let's me know when to install driver updates. The website and the current installed one match already.
Since this started happening after you swapped the cpu perhaps it's time to think about reloading the OS.

I have never done that so I would not be a good guide.

If you decide to go that route start a new thread and see if someone can supply some tips.

Jul 30, 2021
Since this started happening after you swapped the cpu perhaps it's time to think about reloading the OS.

I have never done that so I would not be a good guide.

If you decide to go that route start a new thread and see if someone can supply some tips.
Damn. Well thanks for the help up to this point, I appreciate it very much.
Take care.