[SOLVED] Repeater vs extender vs router for specific application

Daxbuddy

Prominent
Sep 19, 2020
Hi all
Heading to a campground-like setting with a wifi router source about 100 yards away. What I want is a repeater/booster/extender/access point of some kind that will pick up that signal and amplify it, allowing wifi devices at my location to connect with a better signal.
Ideally the repeater would have a directional antenna to point at the desired router, there is likely noise all around from other sites.
My biggest issue is that I don't know what to ask for - is it a repeater, or booster, or extender...?

So, connect wirelessly to a router some distance away, and service various wireless devices within 20 yards or so of the device location. Can somebody tell me what to ask for, or suggest a product to try? Would like to keep it under $100.
Many thanks

Solution
Thanks. In the past, we used a Tienda plug in unit, I think classified as a repeater. With that unit, we set it up to use the name and password of the remote router, and used it to just pass thru signals. Not sure if that answers your question.
That setup gave us occassional decent signal, but it was always if-fy, and we'd like something more dependable.
Did you look at the nanostation LOCO M2 ( cheaper than the nanostation M2 ) . I forgot the "loco" in the first post. It is an outdoor directional unit. You could mount it on a pole that you could rotate to align with the WIFI source. You would need a wired device (laptop) to configure it for each new WIFI source.
Here is Ubiquiti page --...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all
Heading to a campground-like setting with a wifi router source about 100 yards away. What I want is a repeater/booster/extender/access point of some kind that will pick up that signal and amplify it, allowing wifi devices at my location to connect with a better signal.
Ideally the repeater would have a directional antenna to point at the desired router, there is likely noise all around from other sites.
My biggest issue is that I don't know what to ask for - is it a repeater, or booster, or extender...?

So, connect wirelessly to a router some distance away, and service various wireless devices within 20 yards or so of the device location. Can somebody tell me what to ask for, or suggest a product to try? Would like to keep it under $100.
Many thanks
The best way to do this, IMO is to have two devices. One which connects to the remote WIFI and creates an ethernet connection, and then a local WIFI source for your devices.
A Ubiquiti NanoM2 (make sure it is the M2) and then an WIFI router.

Do you get a WIFI password, or have to login to a portal for access ?

Daxbuddy

Prominent
Sep 19, 2020
Thanks. In the past, we used a Tienda plug in unit, I think classified as a repeater. With that unit, we set it up to use the name and password of the remote router, and used it to just pass thru signals. Not sure if that answers your question.
That setup gave us occassional decent signal, but it was always if-fy, and we'd like something more dependable.

kanewolf

Titan
Did you look at the nanostation LOCO M2 ( cheaper than the nanostation M2 ) . I forgot the "loco" in the first post. It is an outdoor directional unit. You could mount it on a pole that you could rotate to align with the WIFI source. You would need a wired device (laptop) to configure it for each new WIFI source.
Here is Ubiquiti page -- https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-and-ltu/products/2-4-ghz-loco
The outdoor unit is POE (power over ethernet) so you need a POE injector for it. It does not include one with purchase. But there are hundreds on E-Bay. Just be sure you get a 24V POE injector.

Solution