[SOLVED] repeater vs mesh??

Nov 17, 2020
Ok, so I have to repeaters ready to use in my home network. I need those to get a decent signal throughout my house, but is mesh a better solution?
And if so why?

Solution
Mesh is mostly a marketing scam. They had nothing new to sell so they renamed the repeaters mesh. Now there are some small number of mesh units that are a bit different. They use a dedicate radio to talk to the main router and then have 2 more radios to talk to the end clients. This way you avoid some of the interference. Problem is there is only 2 80mhz blocks on the 5g band. A mesh system will use both those as well as most the bandwidth on the 2.4g band. It guarentees you get interference from any neighbors because the mesh system is trying to use all the available bandwidth. If you neighbor does the same you just stomp each other.

Part of the reason for he poor coverage in peoples houses is not that the signal...
Mesh is mostly a marketing scam. They had nothing new to sell so they renamed the repeaters mesh. Now there are some small number of mesh units that are a bit different. They use a dedicate radio to talk to the main router and then have 2 more radios to talk to the end clients. This way you avoid some of the interference. Problem is there is only 2 80mhz blocks on the 5g band. A mesh system will use both those as well as most the bandwidth on the 2.4g band. It guarentees you get interference from any neighbors because the mesh system is trying to use all the available bandwidth. If you neighbor does the same you just stomp each other.

Part of the reason for he poor coverage in peoples houses is not that the signal does not go that far it is that it is not strong enough to overcome all the crap signals coming in from outside the house. The mesh systems actually are a large cause of the problem but the vendors get to sell more hardware so they don't care.

Consider other option before you go with a mesh/repeater. You really want to use ethernet with AP on the remote rooms. If that is not available consider powerline with AP or MoCA if you have cable tv wires in the rooms. This will be massively better than any mesh system. You do not see enterprise customers buying this mesh garbage it is only being sold to uneducated home users who want magic boxes.

If you really have no other option then make sure you get the sysetems that have the dedicated backhaul radios. They are considerable more expensive because of this extra radio. Still they are not magic, you will still not get the same speed as if you connect directly to the main router and they so called seamless roam is a myth. The end device not the network decides to change and what to connect to. The so called roaming has all the problems it always had even before mesh because wifi unlike cell phones was not designed to be mobile.

Reactions: Burnbow
Solution