Question Repetitive crashes since yesterday with "dpc_watchdog_violation"

May 25, 2023
Hello everyone,

I'm currently dealing with a frustrating issue on my Windows 11 PC that keeps causing crashes accompanied by the error message "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION." I inspected the dump files and it appears that the problem is the "intelppm.sys" module.

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\052523-28093-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF8040CB1C340, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
File path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys

Interestingly, these crashes are not random but rather occur consistently whenever I launch video games. I never had any issues before yesterday and the computer is only 6 month old.

Here are the specs : GPU : RTX 3060ti 8gb, RAM : 16gb, CPU : I5-12400F, Windows 11

I've attempted all of these :

1: I ran a System File Checker > All good
2: I uninstalled my GPU and restarted
3: I uninstalled my CPU and restarted
4: I ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic > All good
5: I checked if my CPU was overclocked > It's not
6: I checked the temperature of my hardware > everything is under 42 degrees
7: I tested another PCIe cable for my GPU > it changes nothing
8: I used driverscloud and installed all the latest drivers for all of my hardware > it changes nothing
9: I disconnected all USB devices and restarted > still crashing

I'm running out of options... I'm currently on my computer and it's working fine, it will just crash if I start any sorts of videogames (I tested a bunch of them).
I also did a userbenchmark to see if anything will happen and it crashed at the GPU test step...

I've created a folder containing the minidump files and the memory.dmp, which you can access here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MRP9JKik9ijAwxvSw_tI0JTvsWWUjGb8?usp=sharing

Thank you verymuch for your assistance.

Thomas

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hello everyone,

I'm currently dealing with a frustrating issue on my Windows 11 PC that keeps causing crashes accompanied by the error message "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION." I inspected the dump files and it appears that the problem is the "intelppm.sys" module.

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\052523-28093-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF8040CB1C340, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
File path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys

Interestingly, these crashes are not random but rather occur consistently whenever I launch video games. I never had any issues before yesterday and the computer is only 6 month old.

Here are the specs : GPU : RTX 3060ti 8gb, RAM : 16gb, CPU : I5-12400F, Windows 11

I've attempted all of these :

1: I ran a System File Checker > All good
2: I uninstalled my GPU and restarted
3: I uninstalled my CPU and restarted
4: I ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic > All good
5: I checked if my CPU was overclocked > It's not
6: I checked the temperature of my hardware > everything is under 42 degrees
7: I tested another PCIe cable for my GPU > it changes nothing
8: I used driverscloud and installed all the latest drivers for all of my hardware > it changes nothing
9: I disconnected all USB devices and restarted > still crashing

I'm running out of options... I'm currently on my computer and it's working fine, it will just crash if I start any sorts of videogames (I tested a bunch of them).
I also did a userbenchmark to see if anything will happen and it crashed at the GPU test step...

I've created a folder containing the minidump files and the memory.dmp, which you can access here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MRP9JKik9ijAwxvSw_tI0JTvsWWUjGb8?usp=sharing

Thank you verymuch for your assistance.

Thomas
Try this:
How to fix DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION error in Windows 10?

How do I fix DPC watchdog violation?
  1. Remove all external devices on your computer.
  2. Change SATA AHCI controller.
  3. Update the SSD firmware.
  4. Check and fix disk errors with CHKDSK.
  5. Remove newly installed software.
  6. Scan and fix system files.
  7. Run Event Viewer.

May 25, 2023
Thanks for the reply,

I did all of this, sadly it's still happening. I'm beginning to think that my gpu is dead...

How can I be sure it is ?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Thanks for the reply,

I did all of this, sadly it's still happening. I'm beginning to think that my gpu is dead...

How can I be sure it is ?
The only sure way is to replace the suspect part. I did find this reply from Microsoft for a similar problem: "
Based on the analysis of dump files, the issue is caused by intelppm.sys, and this file is related to Intel Power Management.

We can try a couple of troubleshooting steps and see if that helps. Before proceeding with the steps, I suggest you to Create a system restore point.

I would suggest you to try running the Intel Drive & Support Assistant, and if you find any update for Intel Power Management, please install it and check.

If the issue persists, you may want to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. To backup and restore registry key, refer to this link.

1. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open Run dialog box.
  2. Type regedit and click on OK.
  3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\intelppm
  4. On the right pane, double click on the Start DWORD.
  5. Modify the value data to ‘4’ and click on OK.
  6. Restart the computer.

For reference, you may want to see: Problems with Intelppm.sys and processr.sys under Virtual PC / Virtual Server.

In addition, you can try running Windows Memory Diagnostic to check if there is any issues with RAM. Kindly follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows + S keys together to open Search.
  2. Now type Memory and click on Windows Memory Diagnostic.
  3. Click on Restart now and check for problems.
  4. Follow the on screen instructions"