[SOLVED] Replace 1080Ti

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I've been off the graphics card scene for quite a while as my 1080Ti has been serving me brilliantly. I am looking to replace it. I can't stretch to a 3080 so was wondering if a 3070Ti would be a suitable replacement in terms of performance? I game at 1440p. My specs are in my sig

Solution
This thread on Linus Tech Tips might help.

1080Ti suitable replacement - Graphics Cards - Linus Tech Tips

Ultimately one guy who had an i7 8700k said he recommended a 3070ti or a 3080. If you can go higher it might be worth looking at. Also, you may look to see what the amd 6800xt and above look like. If you can get better pricing than with nvidia and don't use ray tracing a lot it might be a consideration.
The same as Alceryes that's some great advise, thank you
Jun 15, 2022
Yes, it should be a suitable replacement for the 1080ti, but I would keep the 1080 Ti around because it is still a really solid card in 2022, especially for VR.

Sometimes, and it is rare, but 30 series cards have a hard time with VR.

Both a 3080 and 3070Ti would serve you well.

The only pause I have is that an 8GB or 10GB VRAM card may not be enough for max settings in 3-4 years. If you are okay with lowering the more VRAM hungry settings in a couple/few years, go for it. If you want to be able to go 'max settings' for the longest amount of time 12GB should be your min VRAM.

For example, Horizon Zero Dawn can use more than 10GBs of VRAM with settings maxed, at 1440p+.

Ultimately one guy who had an i7 8700k said he recommended a 3070ti or a 3080. If you can go higher it might be worth looking at. Also, you may look to see what the amd 6800xt and above look like. If you can get better pricing than with nvidia and don't use ray tracing a lot it might be a consideration.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Both a 3080 and 3070Ti would serve you well.

The only pause I have is that an 8GB or 10GB VRAM card may not be enough for max settings in 3-4 years. If you are okay with lowering the more VRAM hungry settings in a couple/few years, go for it. If you want to be able to go 'max settings' for the longest amount of time 12GB should be your min VRAM.

For example, Horizon Zero Dawn can use more than 10GBs of VRAM with settings maxed, at 1440p+.
That's some great advise thank you.

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006

The same as Alceryes that's some great advise, thank you

Solution
The only other thing I'd mention is that I'm hearing of cards being launched in q3 this year. But that's up to you as to if you want to wait. If another crypto boom starts up, who knows if cards will be available. I just bought a 6700 xt. Kind of like with crypto being down, get a card while it was a good time. That said, I looked the other day and it looked like they were edging up a little again, but I don't know if that will continue.