[SOLVED] Replace Faulty Front Panel Audio

CPUAB

Commendable
May 2, 2019
The Audio inputs on my front panel no longer work and was hoping if someone here can point me in the right direction for an easy replacement, can I just replace the whole unit without having to solder on new components? The case is a Cooler Master Sileo 500 ATX Mid Tower, please let me know if you need more info or images.

Thanks in advance, Alex.

Solution
Yeah....it's either the contacts that are inside the connector housing, itself, or the solder joints on the PC board that it;s mounted on. Easy if it's a bad solder joint, because its just a matter of heating the joint and adding solder. If the connector is actually flakey, then it's either get jinky with it and reform the contacts, or just replace it.

CPUAB

Commendable
May 2, 2019
Check directly with CoolerMaster to see if they sell replacement assemblies. If they don't, break out the soldering iron.
Thanks for the reply. Can't seem to find an exact replacement part, its an old case so more than likely discontinued. Unfortunately I don't own a soldering iron and is something I don't have any experience with to be honest, but if it's the only fix for the issue I guess I'm going to have to learn. Failing that I'll just need to buy a USB headset.

CPUAB

Commendable
May 2, 2019
Do you have access to any old case?
The thing that you need to get is the cable and the socket, which is all standard size etc.
Anything both old and new will work as a replacement.
I do have older cases but lack the experience/knowledge when it comes to soldering. I was hoping it would be an easy fix in purchasing something like this but I guess it's more complex than I first thought 😕

CPUAB

Commendable
May 2, 2019
So it turns out I was having a Realtek driver issue that I wasn't aware of, installed latest from my motherboards manufacturer website and the mic port is working fine again. The speaker port is still having issues and is still very hit/miss if it works or not, seems to have to be aligned in a certain way. Happy that its somewhat sorted for now however temporary it may be and thanks again for the replies (y)

Yeah....it's either the contacts that are inside the connector housing, itself, or the solder joints on the PC board that it;s mounted on. Easy if it's a bad solder joint, because its just a matter of heating the joint and adding solder. If the connector is actually flakey, then it's either get jinky with it and reform the contacts, or just replace it.

Solution