Replace Mobo and CPU. Budget Minded.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I am looking to replace my old mobo and CPU on the family PC.
CPU - Intel P4 506
Mobo - Gibabyte 8l915ME

I am not looking to replace anything else. Just Mobo and CPU. If current RAM dosent work out then only get new ones. CPU-Z mentions RAM as DDR (wow that's really old!!). Which would mean get new RAM.
Current Hard drive & CD Drive is SATA. So I guess that could stay.
Monitor is Viewsonic with VGA out. That should also be reusable.
Graphics card - GeForce 210.

Looking for some suggestions. It will be used mostly for browsing, and movies... *No gaming*.
I would like to spend as little as possible. However, would like it be responsive! The current PC sucks big time. CPU is typically 100% when i run anything.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

Hi mate , honestly it really depends on your budget on what you want to get. I'd say go for this processor " http://www.ebuyer.com/505360-amd-a-series-a4-4000-trinity-apu-socket-fm2-ad4000okhlbox " and any motherboard that fits the FM2 socket. Along with about 1333Mhz or 1600Mhz DDR3 Ram. DDR4 Ram is slowly going to be phased into technology soon though. Everything else can be kept, I'd recommend upgrading your hard-drive though as It's probably a bit old now.

Nerumph

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2014
Your GPU should be good in your new build if you aren't using it for any next gen games. Ram, CPU MOBO and probably even your PSU would need to be retrofitted though.

In the range of about 300$, you could get:

ASUS FM2 MOBO

AMD A8 series CPU

8GM of Patriot Memory

Thermatake 430W PSU.

If you want something lower, you could probably get a bit lower voltage PSU and only one stick of ram. I could revise the list for you if you need something less expensive.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
All of your components are IDE and that is not going to be compatible with current motherboards which use SATA. So unless you buy a lot of IDE-SATA connectors, you pretty much need a new everything.

ihsaan96

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

The OP say's that his HDD & CD Drive is Sata ?

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Pentium 4's are poor performing processors, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if your computer runs slow. It is time to upgrade, and going AMD would keep your costs low, however you don't want a new system entirely if you want to keep your costs low. So we're going to stick to Intel, and keep most of your current components. If you're serious about upgrading, I'd just build a new system. However the upgrade I am about to suggest should get your computer up to a decent standard at a low cost.

I hope the motherboard you claim you have is correct, since that motherboard states it only accepts DDR2 memory; whereas you've stated you have DDR (which is DDR1.) I am from the United Kingdom, therefore the components I have found below are available to purchase in my country; since I am not aware of your location, you must search for them yourself at a cheap cost, such as on eBay.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-945P-S3 (£20.20/$33.99)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz) (£17.50/$29.37)

Total Cost (including delivery): £51.50 (GBP) or $86.42 (USD)

For this upgrade, use your current DDR2 RAM and your CPU heatsink + fan (the Core 2 Duo is not supplied with a heatsink and fan). Apart from those two, use all your current hardware. This motherboard is a great replacement for your current one.

Also to note, after upgrading the motherboard, the computer can be upgraded further at a later date. For example, you can replace the Core 2 Duo CPU with a Core 2 Quad (the Core 2 Quad is still a modern CPU, and is ranked under high-end in benchmarks; therefore will cost more.) You could also upgrade your RAM to 4GB (4 x 1GB sticks per slot.) All these upgrades are compatible with the new motherboard you will place in your computer.

All the best.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Yup its SATA.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

Have used only Intel so far on multiple systems. Never tried AMD. Would it really make any difference other than from perspective of people's choice?
I am aware AMD is cheaper.

logainofhades

Titan