[SOLVED] Replace Optimum Altice router with my own

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Hi;
I have Optimum in northern NJ. We have an 'Altice' router (model F@st 5260CV), and a TP-Link C2300 router upstairs configured as an access point.
I would like to ditch the Optimum Altice router and install either the TP-Link C2300 in its place (configured as a router), then purchase a second router for upstairs (configured as an access point), or purchase a new router to serve in place of the Optimum Altice.

My reasons for wanting to have my own equipment are several:
  1. Save the $10/month
  2. Get back control of my network - Optimum will no longer allow me to change anything with the DHCP on its router. I want to set up some of my machines with static IP addresses, and cannot do this with the Optimum Altice router.

What would you recommend?
Use the TP-Link C2300 as the main router, and purchase a second one for the access point, or purchase a new router to replace the Optimum Altice?

Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner

Solution
I would still run a different modem and router. There is a fairly limited selection of modem/router devices and every time you want to upgrade you would have to pay for a new modem.
So how does the internet come into your house. What does the cable connect to. There must be some form of modem between the router and the ISP cable. Some routers have a DSL or cable modem built in but the model number says it doesn't.

You should be able to just unplug the ISP router and plug yours in. Many times you must reboot the modem. There is a small possibility it needs PPPoE set up but you should see settings in the current router. You can also force the WAN mac address in your router to be the same as the ISP modem if they have mac locked it somehow.

ultrarunner100

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Thanks for the info.
I have a cable modem between the ISP coaxial cable and the router.
I did read something about cloning the MAC address if that is necessary. I think the TP-Link routers have a button you click on their web page.

If I replace the Optimum Altice router with my TP-Link C2300, I will need another for upstairs, to distribute wired ethernet to several computers, and for WiFi extension. I won't need a true router, as the upstairs device will not be connected to WAN. Perhaps that's where an access point comes in?

I guess the way to start is replacing the Optimum router with the TP-Link to make sure it works. Then, I can order another device for upstairs, and when I get it set up I can return the Optimum router to them.

Edit: I'm having trouble locating an access point with additional ethernet ports, for connecting wired devices.
What i really need is a switch with WiFi, but it appears that most people who buy access points are using them to extend WiFi, and some of them don't even have ethernet ports.

I guess the easiest thing to do is just buy another router to replace the Optimum one, and leave the one upstairs alone. This method would require less configuration.

Edit #2:
I just checked my Optimum bill, and found that they charge $10/mo for the modem, but the 'smart router' is free.
So, in order to save the $10/mo, I would need to replace the modem and the router.
I need to start looking at router/modem combos.

I somehow suspect that Optimum has it set up this way to discourage customers from using their own router.

Last edited:
I would buy just a modem. You can use any router as a ap and the extra lan port will work as a switch. If it does not have a AP feature just look for how to use a router as a AP it is mostly cabling differently. So use your tplink as the main router and the ISP as the AP.